Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Access to internet question

I have the Pearl 8110 and currently am not paying for internet service from Blackberry nor my cell phone provider.  My question is, if I have my BB connected to my laptop (which is connected to the internet by Linsys wireless broadband), is there a way I can go onlne with my BB through my laptop?
New Contributor

Re: Access to internet question

There is no way for you to connect your BB to the internet through your laptop...  You can, however, download things to your computer and transfer them to your BB using the Blackberry Desktop software.
Developer

Hello, Viola.

A BlackBerry device can be used as a modem to access internet.

Check this link: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/search?submitted=true&q=tethering

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Developer

2 MyLuckyDay: I think you have not-true information.

It is possible to use BlackBerry device as a modem (search for Tethering on this forum).

----------------
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply I can now stop spending hours trying to do something that will never work.
New Contributor

What will tethering do for my BB being able to access the internet through my laptop?  I know I can use my BB as a modem if I have internet connection through my service provider, but that's what I don't have.  So now you have more of an idea of what want to do, is it possible for me to use my laptop as a source of internet connection for my BB?  Or better yet I have a Linksys Wireless router that my laptop uses for wireless internet connection, can I configure my BB to access the internet through my Linksys?
Developer

What will tethering do for my BB being able to access the internet through my laptop? 

Tethering allows you to access internet from your desktop computer/notebook via your BlackBerry. In this case BlackBerry device acts like a wireless modem.

So now you have more of an idea of what want to do, is it possible for me to use my laptop as a source of internet connection for my BB?  Or better yet I have a Linksys Wireless router that my laptop uses for wireless internet connection, can I configure my BB to access the internet through my Linksys?

I do not think that it is possible to use laptop with internet connection as a modem for BlackBerry device.

Unfortunately I have no experience with BlackBerry tethering and have no information how you can overcome your issue. Sorry.

----------------
New Contributor

That's alright I appreciate you trying to help me out, I'll still give you kudo's for introducing me to "tethering".  I'll try it one day when I do get access with BB.  Take care.
Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]