Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

Accessing Blackberry App World

I have only recently obtained my 9800 Torch, and am still playing around with it. I am finding it impossible to access Blackberry's App World. This "glitch": occurs, even when I try using a brand new "Blackberry ID" to sign in with. I'm getting an error message, saying something similar to "Unable to connect; check network settings". Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions on how I can look into this, and cure the problem? Please?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Accessing Blackberry App World

We'll need to know a couple of things.  Firstly, which country are you in?  AppWorld is not accessible from every country.  Secondly, do you have a BlackBerry data plan with your carrier.

Answer these two questions then we'll take it from there.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

My apologies for leaving out that information. I'm in Ontario, Canada. I have been able to use Blackberry App World before, from my previous unit (a Blackberry Curve). And yes - I do also have a data plan.

I got in touch with my carrier earlier today, and they tried telling me the Blackberry E-mail servers were down (another problem I'm having). I'm not sure if access to the App World could also be affected by the E-mail server problem? Anyway - I'm hoping to get whatever pointers I can, about accessing App World (or getting E-mail to work).

Elite II

Yes, the BlackBerry email servers were (still are?) down so that'll explain your lack of emails being received.

As for BlackBerry AppWorld, I had no problem accessing it today.  I didn't try purchasing anything but to browse the site, I had no problem.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

Hello BillJ! Thanks for your input! I've run a few tests at my end; including logging to a webpage version of an E-mail account that isn't setup on my 9800 handset. My Blackberry E-mail would appear to be back up and working, now. (Thank goodness!) Don't you just hate it when technology doesn't work right? I'm still having trouble with my Blackberry App World. If you're still getting into yours properly, then I'm beginning to wonder whether there's something on my handset itself, that's blocking this. If that's the case - what might it be? How could I check into this?

Contributor

BillJ - I should add a further note, to my last post. I can open up my App World and browse it. But as soon as I try to access "MyWorld" or try to download a selection, I'm prompted for a login. It's at this point, that I'm informed of the following:

"BlackBerry App World is having trouble connecting to the BlackBerry App World server. Verify your network connections and try again."

I can browse the internet from my handset, and my E-mail appears to be working now. I'm not sure what else might be affecting access to App World; aside from the service being "down". Any ideas?

Elite II

I'm going to pass the ball to someone else from here.  I'm having no trouble logging in to MyWorld or viewing anything in AppWorld.

I thought I knew everything but I guess not.  Smiley Sad

Good luck with your situation!

Contributor

Thanks for trying BillJ. I hope someone can stil offer me some insight into this problem?

New Contributor

I'm having a similar problem. I don't seem to have problems with the e-mail aspect but I am having problems with logging into App World and even to just watch Youtube videos. Just wondering if the youtube thing is anything to do with the App World. Says to check connections. I can surf the web fine, just not the other things. I am currently on  v6.0.0.246.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem as others within this thread - got my Torch 9800 today on Orange in the UK and all apps appear to work, including browsing in app world - but I get error message when I try to download anything.  Can anyone help?