Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Activating an unlocked Blackberry Bold

Hi all

Purchased an unlocked Blackberry Bold outright yesterday as my Treo 750 was constantly dropping calls and driving me to distraction with a heap of other issues. I couldn't wait any longer to change handsets as my Treo was just too unreliable. I am on the 3 network in Australia (under contract for another 12 months) and was assured by the store I bought the BB from that all I would have to do to configure the BB is either DIY on the My Three website, call into a 3 store and get them to do it, or ring 3 care and get them to email the settings to my handset.

Well, I could not find any way to do it online on My Three, the store staff did not have a clue, and my first half hour on the phone to Mumbai basicallly ended up with the tech telling me that there is no way to get a non-3 handset to function on 3.

!#$@@@%%@%

After more research on the web, I found posts in forums from people who have gotten their Blackberrys to work on 3, but they have had existing BIS accounts and just swapped the SIM out from the old handset to the new. So I ring customer care to add on the Blackberry service and remove my existing data pack. As soon as they find out the new handset is "non-3" they try to tell me it can't be done. I stand firm and after 30 mins of arguing with them, the explanation is that the IMEIs and PINs are registered with RIM for each carrier i.e. RIM has a list of every Blackberry allocated to 3. The system won't let a carrier activate a Blackberry that is not allocated to it by RIM. They said that I would have to go through RIM to have it activated and download the service books before I could register it on the 3 network.

So as it stands, I cannot access internet, email etc.  I find the explanation hard to believe (that RIM won't activate a non 3 blackberry) I am happy to go on the 3 Blackberry Plan, but I can't even do that it seems. Does anyone knows how I activate it through RIM?, I can't find any way to contact them unless I shell out USD$49 for a one off incident support and I know I'll just get the run around from 3. In short, they are saying that RIM has to activate it before they can activate it on their service.

Of course, my other alternative is to return the BB as it will not perform the task I bought it for and wait for 3 to release the Bold in the next couple of months.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Activating an unlocked Blackberry Bold

I am not positive about your network, but you should be able to have your device unlocked by a third party vendor and then placed on the 3 network for use.

Contact www.horizonwirelessonline.com for unlocking, reasonable prices and a trustworthy vendor. Foreign device unlocks I understand can take up to two weeks, though.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9000R

The device being locked to another carrier in terms of the PIN is BS...RIM won't remove the PIN from the carriers database strictly because the device COULD be stolen, I'm in no way accusing you of it...but that is the premise behind it..the device you have at some point in time made contact with it's intended carrier and therefore registered the PIN in that carriers database..once in their database the only way to get it removed is to contact the intended carrier and have them "zero" out the PIN therefore removing it from their services...a prectice which is NOT to be essentially done and is much frowned upon by RIM and the carriers..due to many reasons..ie Theft. loss of assumed $ for that carrier..etc..etc..best casde in this scenario is to return the device and get your funds back...you may try for another device, but no guarentee's that you won't see the same result that's for sure...the only sure way to get a device without hassle is to wait for your carrier to launch it.
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I bought the phone brand new from a large retailer and it has not been activated on any network- in Australia it is not unusual for phones to be available unlocked. From my further discussions with my carrier I am pretty certain their explanations are BS.  I could activate it without a problem on any of the other carriers if I switched to them but as I am still in contract, that is not really an option. My carrier would let me use the Bold, but I would first have to buy an 8707g from them, activate that, then swap SIMs.

I have returned the Bold and gotten a refund. Fortunately, my carrier will be getting the bold shortly so I can get one without breaking my contract then.

i understand why you feel !#$@@@%%@% ......    i felt the same when i found out that my 8310 canot access internet via GPRS... because i did not subscribe blackberry service!!!  the stupid phone shown gprs (small letter) instead of GPRS (capital letter) .... but i have unlimited 3G plan from the local operator and i can use the SIM pack on any mobile windows OS phone such as my O2, HTC, etc...  these manufacturers never lock their phones for whatsever reasons!

So i decided to return the blackberry and live happily with my windows mobile base phones ever ...  :-)