Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: DU (United Arab Emirates)

Activation Required on a BB Bold 9900

I recently posted a question about the "Activation Required" mention that was on my screen. I managed to remove it by entering ##0000 + save (found this on another forum). The mention is now off but I still CANNOT access internet through 3G (only through WIFI) whereas the phone function is working.

It tells me that "browsing on the cellular is not include in my service plan" whereas I do have a contract with my service provider in Dubai and it works just fine with other BB. I asked the service provider and they have no idea so I guess something needs to be unlocked on this one (Bold 9930). 

Can you help?

Fred

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Activation Required on a BB Bold 9900

A 9930 is meant to be used on a CDMA network. It does have a GSM radio in it but likely needs to be unlocked.

To see if it's unlocked Go to Options and type "sim card" in the search. Select the Sim Card menu that comes up. On the screen type M E P D and it should open an expanded menu. What does it say next to "Network"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

It says "Inactive". The others say "disabled"
What do you think?
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

It sounds like it's unlocked. I'll need someone with a CDMA device to refresh my memory on how to make sure it's using GSM and not CDMA. I believe there are settings in the Mobile Network menu area. Touch on the top ribbon and scroll down to Networks and Connections and make sure the GSM option is enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II

Since the device appears to be picking up a signal but doesn't have any data service it may just be missing service books. let's try this:

Go to Options >type Host Routing Table in the search bar >Open the HRT menu item >Hit the menu key and select Register Now.

See if you get a Registration message

Contributor

It gave me a message "Registration Message Sent" and I pressed OK. Nothing else happened
Contributor

Do you have a number where I can reach you. Might be easier to talk. Also, I check the Mobile Network:
The Network Technology indicates: GSM/UMTS
The Network Mode indicates: 2G (should it be 3G or 2G&3G)
Contributor

Are you still there?
Guru II

Go in and make sure that Data Services are turned on. Touch the top ribbon on the home screen to go to Manage connections. Scroll down to Networks and Connections. Go into Mobile Network and make sure that Data Services are "On" and that "While Roaming" is "On."

Contributor

thanks for being back and sorry I was away. I did what you mentioned and everything you mentioned was "On"