Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Actual BlackBerry Desktop for Macs?

PocketMac simply won't do it. Has anyone heard if RIM is ever going to give Mac users the option of full BlackBerry compatibility?

I love using my BB at work. We did a comparison between BB and iPhone and I actually prefer the BB for how I use the device. However, there is no way the smartphones my family is migrating to are going to be BlackBerries if I have to lug them all to the office and hook them up to a PC to really get the most out of them, just because we are an Apple household.

I don't actually like the idea of going to iPhone by default, but it looks like that's my only good choice unless RIM offers a genuine alternative.

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Actual BlackBerry Desktop for Macs?

[ Edited ]
I've heard there is something in the works, but no official release date or anything.
Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 02-24-2009 09:57 PM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

This is one of my biggest frustrations in migrating to the Mac.  I need to use Windows to install software, I need to use Windows to back up my Blackberry Curve, and the sync functions of PocketMac to Entourage are weak at best.

I hope that there is a Mac Blackberry desktop solution soon!

Highlighted
New Contributor

I'm new as a member to this Forum, but I've looked around enough to know there are lots of posts about the frustration of being both a Mac and a Blackberry user.  Mark/Space's Missing Sync is, to my mind, the only mostly-reliable option as far as I can tell.  It has a glitch or two but nothing like the mostly-abominable PocketMac.  Having said that, let me add my own but of frustration.  I've used an 8310 curve (AT&T) for over a year and although I can accept the fact ... I can't quite get my mind around the why of not having a native Mac OSX desktop client.  My biggest irritation is the inability to update the device's OS.  It's inconceivable to me.  This is like a gold-lettered, engraved invitation to switch to an iPhone when it's time to upgrade to a new partly-subsidized-by-the-cellphone-company device.  And if and when somebody comes up with a low-profile, small Blackberry-ish QWERTY keyboard that slides out from underneath the iPhone ... that'll be the ball game as far as I can tell.  I'm not smart enough to know if RIM is losing much market share to Apple, but I would think making a Blackberry work seamlessly on a Mac would be tantamount to an RIM Corporate Red Alert.  Maybe I've drunk too much of the Mac Kool-Aid, but enough is freakin' enough, no?  And if something really IS being developed, can there be anything revealed other than the nebulous phrase "something is being developed"?  I really do feel a loyalty to the Blackberry product ... but I sense that's not a two-way street from the manufacturer.  If my feeling is multiplied by thousands of users, that might be something to pay attention to.