Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Adding Gmail to Storm - Problem

TROUBLE connecting GMAIL in Storm.

In setup email choosing Gmail,

I am having trouble configuring Gmail on the Storm. It is a choice, so it shgould work. Tech Support was not able to help.

When I chose gmail it then asks for my username and password, then when I clic nextI get the message after a long time of trying to connect to email settings, "Your device had a problem connecting to the server, retry " I clicked retry it finally replies the same thing again. Last night  and earlier today, all I got was 'We were unable to configure [username@gmail.com].'  Please help.

Searching Google help I found a script for adding Gmail to a Blackberry, but it did not mention storm. When I try to leave out the password like it recommends to get the set up myself option, all I get is a message that says password is required and it won't let me do anything else.

Here is the Google script for Blackberry.

To configure IMAP access for your BlackBerry, just follow these steps:

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
  2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
  3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
  4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
  5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
  6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [username@gmail.com].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
  7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
  8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
  9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [username@gmail.com] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
  10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
  11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
  12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
  13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
  14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
  15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
  16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
  2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
  3. Select Email Reconciliation.
  4. Confirm the following settings:
    • Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    • Wireless Reconcile: On
    • On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
  5. Select Save.
  6. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
---

New Contributor

Re: Adding Gmail to Storm - Problem

I have gmail and it's coming through to my Storm, no problem.

Go here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/setup.jsp#tab_tab_email (they're listed towards the bottom of the page) to find your carrier's website, and then go to the site and create an account.  

You can create/edit/delete email accounts from there once you're logged in.  You can also create email filters (i.e., for gmail, not downloading sent mail).

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks a lot. Using the wizzard instead of clicking in directly worked. The site you pointed me to wanted to set up my main account it looked like. But I read the lead in instructions higher up the page and they mentioned using the wizard. Evidentally there is a bug if you don't use the wizzard. Whatever. This time (number 101 or thereabouts) it worked.  :-)

Thanks a million.

Gypsy Nick

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Google also has an add-on app that handles just Gmail accounts and keeps them separate from the "Messages" box. Use the Storm browser to go to gmail and there should be a link that says something like "get gmail faster" or something like that. I installed it and it works great for me, syncing 2 gmail accounts, and keeping my "Messages" box from getting cluttered.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

That is a good tip. I am going to follow your advice and get me that Google application from my Blackberry Storm.

I'm loving the Storm. And I do expect a little thunder and lightning!  :-)

Are there games that you know of?

Gypsy Nick

Contributor

I had Gmail App installed on my BB World Edition which worked fine.  When I got my Storm I had issue with Gmail App when turning the phone horizontally.  It doesn't work in Landscape mode if that makes sense.  The funny thing is I got it to work for a while and then it stopped.  I've tried Enabling Compatability and Disabling it and it still doesn't work.  Any suggestions?

Chris

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hmmm...I've not experienced that problem...I can freely run it in portrait or landscape. I guess I'd make sure other things still work fine in both modes and, if not, reload the OS. If so, then delete and re-install the GMail app. Also try the battery-pop reboot. Sorry, I'm grabbing at straws, but I've not seen that behavior...the GMail app has worked perfectly for me.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks, I'll try those things and let you know what happens if anything.

Chris

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Hey,

Initially I had all of my Gmail's coming to my Storm using the Blackberry Email Setup. But, I later I installed the GMail Mobile application. Initially BB Server used to fetch my Emails instantaneously. After 10-15 mins, GMail application fetches those mails. Now, I dont get emails thru BB. I only get them thru Gmail but after 15 mins. WHere do I get the option of 'Get GMail Faster'? Do u hav email set up thru both the applications?

New Contributor

I followed this advice

----

I have gmail and it's coming through to my Storm, no problem.

Go here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/setup.jsp#tab_tab_email (they're listed towards the bottom of the page) to find your carrier's website, and then go to the site and create an account.  

You can create/edit/delete email accounts from there once you're logged in.  You can also create email filters (i.e., for gmail, not downloading sent mail).

----

Now I get my mail a few minutes after my PC gets it.

Gypsy Nick