Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Address Book and Sync Issues with Verizon Curve

[ Edited ]

I got my first BB about a month ago and like it, for the most part.  I have three major issues with it now:

1.  SYNC   I've downloaded and installed the latest software from pocket mac and my first sync went fine (I have a MacBook Pro running 10.4.11).  Every sync after that has failed.  I've tried the recommended solutions like cleaning out the sync history, re-installing, etc.  I've un-installed and re-installed several times with no change.  The sync begins fine and but never finishes.  One thing that could be a problem is the version - every time I download the software, I've clicked on the newest version, (PocketMacForBlackBerry4.1.25.dmg) but after it installs, it calls itself Version 1.2 (1.4).  Shouldn't it be 4.1?  I know there are issues with older versions, but I can't seem to get 4.1 installed.  

2.  ADDRESS BOOK    Sinse my first and only sync, I've needed to add a LOT of contacts into my address book manually.  It doesn't work most of the time.  When I add a new contact and save, it won't exit the contact, but pops up this note:  "Address updated externally, changes will be lost and the viewer closed."  The same thing happens if I'm trying to create a new entry or edit an existing entry.  The real crazy part is that many of the numbers I've added show up when they are incoming calls - the name and correct phone number, but when I try to call out on my phone, the contact info will not show.  

3.  GPS    Not a major deal, but none of the GPS services work.  I use the Google Maps mobile app, but the GPS does not work.  Neither does any of the other software I have installed for GPS.  I have gone into the preferences and enabled the GPS and saved the changes.  The logo even appears on the main screen, it just doesn't work.  *NOTE* I've found that Verizon has disabled the GPS unless you pay for the VZ Navigator service.  Typical Verizon marketing.  Is there any way to bypass Verizon's block?

Needless to say, I'm not very impressed with Pocket Mac software of the RIM address book utility.  I've read over many of the posts in this forum and see many other frustrated users.  Makes me really think about throwing my money at an iPhone. 

If anyone has any solutions to my problems/frustrations, I would be VERY grateful.

thanks for your time,

-marlowe

Message Edited by marlowe on 11-19-2008 12:12 PM
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Address Book and Sync Issues with Verizon Curve

I cannot say I AGREE! any louder.

This pocketmac people claim in the website to offer "solutions" but they have given me lots of headaches and I too would just go and buy an iphone. The only problem is that AT&T does not work in my house.

No matter how many tricks I have tried I cannot make my 8330 accept the changes i make in my address book. It is absolutely a killer.

Some previous user said that bluettoth could help but at any rate that was to over ride the address book with the 8330 data and in my case i was trying to do the opposite. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!