Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790 / PlayBook 32
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Address book restoration

Hi.

I had to create a new ID in order to have a clean setup of my gmail account and have the calendar and address book sinchronize

However, with the new ID I cannot restore my backed-up address book.

Is the gmail address book taking precedence over the BB address book, or it is the new ID that won't let restore the data?

Is that any way to circumbent this?

Thanks.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Address book restoration

Hello,

If you actually changed your BB ID, then the records associated with your old BB ID (including your prior backups) are left behind with it...they do not migrate with the device, but rather stay with the BB ID.

For your address book, since you've integrated GMail and activated OTA Contact Sync, that will take priority...whatever you have on GMail will become your BB address book (once synchronization completes...it can take a while). When OTA sync is enabled, other methods are prevented.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

@sdgardne, thanks.

How about the applications associated with the old ID?   some where paid, I think I will have to repurchase.

Address book; I've synchronized my AB with Outlook, would that work with the new ID?   I would assume Yes.

So, there is no way to update the AB on gmail with the BB Address Book, only the other way around?

Thanks again

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

[ Edited ]

kwhunter wrote:

@sdgardne, thanks.

How about the applications associated with the old ID?   some where paid, I think I will have to repurchase.

Records are records...all records, including AppWorld purchase records, are tied to the BB ID, not the specific device. If you do not want to re-purchase, then you should revert back to the old BB ID.

kwhunter wrote:

Address book; I've synchronized my AB with Outlook, would that work with the new ID?   I would assume Yes.

So, there is no way to update the AB on gmail with the BB Address Book, only the other way around?

Outlook PC client? If so, that is not relevant for OTA sync...OTA sync is between your BB and your server, not your PC client. Further, OTA sync is not relevant to BB ID...BB ID provides, via Protect, the ability to backup and restore your data...but that has nothing whatsoever to do with sync.

Properly configured, you should be able to update your AB on either GMail or on the device, and they should reconcile (2-way) to each other. How you reconcile between the Outlook PC client and GMail is a completely separate function, not related to how the BB and GMail interact with each other for this purpose.

What I think you need to do is figure out why your synchronization between the device and GMail is not working...check first that it's properly configured, and if so, then try removing and re-integrating the GMail account to the BB.

Hope that helps!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

sdgardne wrote:

What I think you need to do is figure out why your synchronization between the device and GMail is not working...check first that it's properly configured, and if so, then try removing and re-integrating the GMail account to the BB.

Hope that helps!

Contributor

looks like I posted a blank message...

Rogers' tech support can't help, and RIM is out of reach.

The tech from Rogers said that they will discontinue BIS within 1 year, so I think I won't be able to use the old Bold 9790 any more.

Time to upgrade or leave BB for other system.

Hall of Famer III

Don't let Rogers fob you off like that! You pay them for 100% of your services as well as 100% of your service-level support. OTA calendar sync with GMail is a service, and it's not working for you.

BlackBerry (there is no more "RIM") is by no means "out of reach". They never have been, of course, directly reachable by end users. The process is that, if your carrier cannot figure out an issue that they are responsible for, then they are to escalate your case up to BlackBerry for enhanced support. Contractually, that is how the support model works, and all parties (BlackBerry, the carrier, the end user) are contractually bound to that process.

Whoever you have been talking to at Rogers is (I will be gentle) not properly trained...

------------------

But, in any event, you still have a decision to make regarding your prior AW purchase records...if you must have those, then you need to fall back to that BB ID on your BB...and that involves a device WIPE. So you will be starting over anyway.

To do that, what I suggest is that you first make sure you've got a good backup (steps to do so are in a link in my auto-sig at the bottom of all of my posts), remove ALL email account integrations from the device, perform the WIPE, and then start over, falling back to that prior BB ID and then moving forward with configuring GMail to work.

Good luck and let us know!

Contributor

Thanks again.

When backing up the device, does the BBM contacts list is saved as well?   When I first wiped the device, after restoring data the BBM contacts were gone.   And again, switching from one ID to the next will not restore the BBM contacts, just like the Address Book, isn't it so?

Hall of Famer III

kwhunter wrote:

When backing up the device, does the BBM contacts list is saved as well? 

Read again the post linked in my auto-sig...it discusses exactly that.

kwhunter wrote:

When I first wiped the device, after restoring data the BBM contacts were gone.

Hence, the steps in that linked post.

kwhunter wrote:

And again, switching from one ID to the next will not restore the BBM contacts, just like the Address Book, isn't it so?

Yup...BBM contacts are yet more records attached to your BB ID, not to your BB specifically.

Contributor

Thanks again.

Just to poit this out clearly, I have BBM 7 installed.

After wiping out the device and signing in with the same ID, the BBM list was not restored (was lost).