Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: Indosat

All Application Data gone on BB 9560

A friend came to me with a BlackBerry 9560. All application data seems to be gone. This includes contacts in phonebook, BBM contacts, Whatsapp, Gallery, etc.. But all the applications are still there.

This situation occured during charging the phone. So the phone was fine and left at the charger and after 30 minutes you'll find your phone in this stage. After reset a JVM error shows up (I don't have the number available anymore). From the story told by the person, it seems the phone had a hard reset during charging.

For some reason I think it has to do with the persistent memory that was totally full. Maybe this corrupted some kind of database that holds this kind of information. For sure after removing some content from the persistent memory (such as pictures and music) the phone started up again without the JVM error. And some applications got their data (partial) back. Eg. the empty gallery showed again pictures.

It is this users own fault not to make any kind of backup or use eg BlackBerry Security. But is it possible that a OS 6.0 device can get corrupted this way by overloading the persistent memory?

Keep in mind the phone was from user perspective Idle, but it is very likely that the user retrieved a message (or even data) via a messenger. So it is very possible that during charging the memory got overloaded.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: All Application Data gone on BB 9560

Hello,

What you describe is quite odd. It could have been caused by a variety of factors, ranging from the automatic Low Memory Manager all the way to unexplained spontaneous data WIPE. However, if it were the LMM, I'd not expect any impacts as you describe, so I'd actually suspect something more serious.

You might try attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then you might be able to get a backup (full instructions are available via the link in my auto sig below on this post). Then, at least the data will be safe...hopefully...you already recognize the importance of backups, hopefully the user will now likewise realize such.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. Unless the data can be accessed on the device, it's unlikely that a backup can now be taken...damage already done and all of that.

It's also possible that there is a bad memory sector somewhere that, when accessed, causes failure. I had that exact situation on a Storm-series device I once had. Of course, being a hardware issue, there's nothing to be done at the OS/Software level to help resolve such things.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................