Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Alt and Shift keys act like "sticky" keys - don't work if held down

My 8830 Alt and Shift keys mysteriously stopped working normally, and now operate exactly how a one-thumbed person would love. 

It seems I've activated some rare acessibility feature that I can't turn off. (Tried pulling battery.)

If I hold down the Alt or Shift keys and press another key (e.g. the "W") nothing happens - no character is typed.  BUT if I press the Alt key and release it, the up/down arrow icon appears in the upper right of the screen.  Then if I next push the W key I get a "1" and the icon disappears.  The next keypress of any key gives its regular (letter) function.

The same behavior applies to the right and left shift keys too, except the CAPS icon appears in the upper right.

How do I turn this "feature" off?

Thanks!

Re: Alt and Shift keys act like "sticky" keys - don't work if held down

Yeah, me too - weirdest thing, I have no idea why this started, and I can't seem to find any setting or series of key tapping to undo this. Basically has rendered my, "Alt-Hold" function useless. Help!

Hi Folks,

My BB 8800 has just developed this problem as well.  As far as I am aware I have not changed anything to do this.  Both the  ALT and SHIFT keys are "sticky" i.e. when pressed they remain active when the key is released.  Typing a character then turns it off.

Previously the shift keys worked like a normal keyboard i.e. press and hold to be active.

I see a couple of other people have the same issue.

Has anyone found a solution?

Help - this is driving me mad :smileymad.

Many thanks

Paddy

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Hello,

What screen are you looking at when you are trying to do this?

Are you trying to enter the password?

Is it only typing numbers??

I do believe that the screen says: PLEASE ENTER PIN.

It is not asking for the password bu tthe SIM Card PIN, which can ONLY be numbers, thus it is only allowing you to enter numbers.

Once you get past the PIN it will then ask for password and then allows you to enter the Password in letters o rnumbers.

Dont worry, its a common mistake.

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq

Hi OzBBerry42

This is not related to entering the PIN.  It happens all over the machine e.g. creating an email etc.

What is strange is that it just started doing this 2 days ago.  Before then (I have had my BB8800 for about 6 weeks now) it was fine.

Any ideas?

Paddy

I noticed these posts ended back in July.  My blackberry just started doing this and was wondering if anyone figured out why.  It's the only post I can find on the topic.  As an aside, mine happened just after my media card caused some sort of system error. I removed the media card and everything appears to be working fine, except the sticky alt key.  Weird.  Any help would be appreciated if someone figured it out. 

Thanks.

Jeff

count me in too...mine stopped working a few weeks ago - I just thought it was because i had been carrying it in my pocket and it was a hardware problem. has anyone tried to call tech support on it?

In our case it occurred because Mute button at the top of Bold got stock.  It took some time to figure out.  Possibly, other buttons being stuck may cause similar behavior...

My Device: pearl 8100
My Carrier: claro

I had the same problem in my BB 8100, i read this below, and it works to me too. The trackball seems to stay pressed or bad working so it makes the shift and alt not working. After this muy Alt and shift button returns to work correctly.
sorry, I´m not so good english writer.
Re: Alt Key mysteriously changed function 

I popped off the ring around the track-ball with a screw driver and cleaned the sensors. I also depressed the sensor on the circuitboard of the device with a metal tipped pen and things started working fine again. Rebooting and cleaning the track-ball had not helped until I manually pressed the circuitboard at which point everything returned to normal including track-ball clicking and having to press the Alt-key once every time I needed to use a number.

hope that helps.

- The Alaskan

My Device: Curve
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: When Alt or Shift keys are held down you can't type

I did everything to wiping device and reinstalling (the most current version) software.  The problem was the mute key was stuck in the pressed position.  I got it unstuck by pulling the battery and using something with a flat plastic or wood, gently tap around the stuck key as to not scratch or damage the device.  The key became loose and I replaced the battery and it worked. 

I saw in another post another reported stuck key (side convenience key).  So check for stuck keys. 

-Dennis