Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

krl
Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: rogers

Always getting the Clock like thinking icon and freezes torch

Does anyone have this issues, where you the black thinking icon that always appears in the middle of the screen?  

I keep getting it and when it comes up, it freezes my phone for 10secs, 30 secs and someimtes close to a minute.  I understand if it comes up if the phone needs to "think".  But right now my phone is doing nothing and the icon is coming up.  I get it while in the middle of typing a bbm, i get it while just trying to scroll down on my main page.  For everything.  Why does my torch need to think for 30seconds just so that i can lock my phone?

Anyone know how to solve it?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Always getting the Clock like thinking icon and freezes torch

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

What OS are you on? On your device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

then

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

krl
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh ...the blackberry everyday solution....just take the battery out....sorry to be an <Inappropriate Content Removed>.  But is that the solution for EVERYTHING.  

Anyways, I took the batter out for the 3rd, 4th or 10th time.  Can't remember how many times i've done that in the past week to try and eliminate this issue.  But the problem is still happening.  

I did the CPU, Application management check.  Took me an hour just to get there - Phone was thinking and freezing.....

i'm using.  right now it is at 13% used, 87% free.  and all my apps are at 0%

I'm on OS 6.0

And it is still freezing.  

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

What OS are you on? On your device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

OS 6 is just too general, we need to actual version like 6.0.0.242 for example.

maybe you need a newer os

Manual device OS upgrade instructions:

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. Get DM here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

5. This step is not needed unless there is an issue on next steps. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to step 6

6. remove internet connection to PC and reboot PC.

7. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.

8. if you did Step 5, restore from back up. Follow this KB if needed http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

Enjoy the new OS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

krl
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm on 6.0 Bundle 695.  and it says that Your Blackberry is up to date. 

and I don't get what you mean by type in a new message MYVER.  Again sorry for being in an <Inappropriate Content Removed>
and in case you haven't been paying attention, my phone keeps freezing.  I'm not typing or currently using my torch for anything right now.  Its a freakin paper weight.  Becaue it keeps freezing.  That icon appears before and after every letter i type. It would take me all day to type out a sentence.

I'm on my work PC right now, watching that think spin in the middle of my screen.

Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

bunddle 695 is an old version aka 6.0.0.246

there are newer versions out there, I would suggest the OS upgrade.

as for the myver

its an autotext that all phones have if you go into any field and type myver and a space after it will show the OS running. lucky you found the bundle and I was able to cross reference it.

I found this from Rogers

BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.2921 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 6.0.0.2921
Consisting of:
  • Applications: 6.0.0.666
  • Software Platform: 6.6.0.241
  • File name: 9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel2921_PL6.6.0.241_A6.0.0.666_Rogers_Wireless_Inc.exe
  • File size: 169.2MB
Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

krl
Contributor

thanks for the help.  but how do i update my phone when it my phone is up to date?  I went to software updates and checked it for any updates, and it says that I am up to date?

and again sorry, but where do I type MYVER.  i tried but nothing happens

krl
Contributor

sorry ignore the last post.  i will d/ the software update that you sent.

Guru III
My Device:

ok, let us know how you progress

krl
Contributor

will do.  but watching my phone Request to download data while freezing at the same time is gonna take a while, plus it's draining the sh1t outta my phone and i don;'t have my charger.