Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Annoying 5 second dropouts during phone calls (Bluetooth)

Hello all,

I am quite desparate about the same issue that I'm having with my Storm 9500. Here is what happens and it is very well reproducible.

1. Make phone call and use a Bluetooth headset (but I think it happens without as well)
   2. During a phone call, receive an email (red led starts to flash)
   3. This is where I get a 5-10 second dropout in the sound, neither I nor my counterpart can hear anything.
   4. After about 5-10 seconds, the sound is back.

This is definitely a software issue because I got my device exchanged and the second unit has the exact same behaviour. This effectively means that I cannot make an undisturbed phone call without those annoying and embarassing dropouts in sound.

I also disabled all "Notify during call" checkboxes in Audio Settings that I found. Didn't help at all.

* BlackBerry 9500
    * Carrier: Vodafone Germany
    * v4.7.0.78 (Platform 4.0.0.98) ...this is the latest OS version published by Vodafone DE
    * Branding-Version: 1.0.124.206

Any ideas? The Vodafone guys have no clue... Any help appreciated! I would love to keep this BlackBerry because - besides this fatal issue - I do love it and it's got cool features and the usability is great for me.

Thanks guys,

Karol

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Annoying 5 second dropouts during phone calls (Bluetooth)

Hi and Welcome!

Since you've got your profile settings correct (disabled during calls), you might try a batt-pull reboot to see if it helps to clear things up. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull the battery. Wait about a minute and then replace the battery and cover. Power up normally and wait patiently through the long long long reboot process...see if it improves.

From your description, what it sounds like is that it is attempting to play the alert tone while you are in a call...even though you have it disabled. The device may well have gotten sluggish (which, like all computers, happens) and the batt-pull reboot is a good way to smooth things out (for a while at least...some recommend doing so every 4 days).

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely try that when I'm back home (I'm on the road now). But I am very sceptical about the success of this cold battery reboot. Let me tell you why.

When I got the second device (replacement) from Vodafone, the very first thing after booting it up with my SIM card was to have a test call and the symptoms where the same. As soon as an email arrived, the sound was gone for several seconds and it went down the hill from there. After the first sound freeze, it does not need another email for a sound dropout anymore, it just happens. And this all after having the phone booted up fresh from the box. So I don't think that it's an OS "cleanup" issue or some hanging threads or that kind of problems. I think that it's a plain bug and I am really shocked that I don't see people complaining in the forums about it all the time.

I found only one single complaint and that was about dropouts during music playback via Bluetooth. Seems to be an issue in the Bluetooth stack to me...

I'll give the cold battery reboot a shot anyway, I'm reaching for any straw ;-)

Karol

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi! Definitely give things a try to see what happens...and do report back, many do follow this and find help.

Random thoughts from me:

1) There is one thread on this forum in which a very experienced user is advocating doing the batt-pull every four days to clean up accumulated sluggishness. 

2) There is one thread where, for other problems, doing several batt-pulls in a row seems to have cured their problems.

3) There are several threads about BT issues, though I agree very few with your specific issue.

4) Sometimes all we have left are straws...and sometimes they turn golden!

5) We all are anxiously awaiting official OS updates -- those who are playing in beta-land are experiencing improvements (though with of course the occasional backward step)...I can't recall if anyone who is using the leaks has reported improvements with BT.

6) This poor little computer is trying to do oh so much...and "patience" has become my watchword while "they" work out the bugs and release to us a rock solid OS (soon, we all hope!)...along with "acceptance" that the device is what it presently is, but that it shall get better.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................