Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530 (Verizon)
Accepted Solution

Anyone have issues with sections of your screen?

[ Edited ]

Even though there are some issues with the OS as many many previous threads have noted, I am satisfied with my storm because of its hardware capabilities and am willing to be patient as RIM fixes the software issues.  The problem I do have is that the bottom left portion of my screen doesn't have the same positive clicking sensation as the rest of the screen does.  I spoke with someone at a local verizon store and they explained that it is common and that there was nothing wrong with mine or at least that it was no different than most.  I also checked the two storm demos they had on display and both units seemed to have a similar defect with the screen.  My wife's storm however is perfect, with the same positive clicking sensation on all parts of the screen.  I wouldn't be concerned with it except that whenever I type in the lower left part of the screen I get errors or reduced typing speed because of the lack of "positive click".  Ultimately my question is should I exchange it for another and hope that the next one better or just keep mine because that is how most of the units are and getting a perfect one like my wife's is luck of the draw?  Thanks

Message Edited by stainer85 on 01-13-2009 10:29 PM
Message Edited by stainer85 on 01-13-2009 10:30 PM
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Anyone have issues with sections of your screen?

Your screen should click consistently all over just like your wifes Storm.  Basically, the problem with your phone not clicking consistently all over is because of an overtightened screw or screws.  When you take off your battery cover you will notice two torx screws.  One will have a red and white sticker on it below the battery and the other on the opposite side will not.  If you have a torx T-6 screw driver you can correct this issue by turning the screw or screws counterclockwise to loosen the screws.  You may want to try half turns at a time and test your screen for consistency of click after each half turn so as not to unloosen the screw too much.  Here is a link that was posted over at crackberry dot com that others have used this procedure to correct their screen clicking problem:  http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/screen-click-problem-fixed-using-different-method-109036/  

If your Storm is perfect other than the screen click problem, I would suggest trying the fix posted above.  If you feel uncomfortable trying this, I would request a new device that clicks evenly all over the way it should be.   

Visitor
My Device: Storm 9530

Yes.  I had issues with my screen.  The lower right hand quadrant of the screen just would not register any touches on it - like where the "JK" and "L" buttons are when the keyboard is displayed in portrait mode.

I took the device back to a Verizon store and they ordered a new one for me.  The new one had no issues and is working fine.

I think you need to take your device back and get it exchanged.

Hope it helps

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530 (Verizon)

storm9530 - thanks for your help.  I read the post on the crackberry forum and it seems that adjusting the screws has helped a number of storm users.  I will try it tonight and post my results.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks alot for this post, Im having the same issue and I just got my vzw account and storm 3 days ago. I went to take it back and they said, "It still works so we cant do anything, sorry". I then emailed vzw (contact us) and they called me about an hour later. then they called that store to kick a little butt for me Smiley Happy ...(thanks Emely).

on a side note: vzw customer service is great good so far umm,,, I just hope I can enjoy my phone.

Message Edited by Samsho5 on 03-26-2009 11:17 AM
Message Edited by Samsho5 on 03-26-2009 11:18 AM
New Contributor

I bought my screwdriver but wasn't sure I needed to do the screen click fix. My screen seemed to click ok all over with just the very bottom not as responsive. I decided to have a play today and took the advice of one of the screen click threaders to mark the screws and start from the tightest position. I was amazed to find one screw was as tight as it could go and the other only had less than 1/4 turn to tighten it totally. I have loosened both screws a full turn, I did it a 1/4 at a time trying the screen at each stage. The result is brilliant. The phone is so much easier to use and I don't need to concentrate so hard on clicking exactly the right spot. If you are wondering whether to try this or not have a go. I enjoy my Storm much more now and I can use the querty with the pads of my thumbs even with very long fingernails.
Contributor

Thank you for this posting.  My Storm is only a week and was very frustrated with the feel of the screen on the top and bottom in portrait mode.  I was ready to go back and exchange it.

I went to the local VZW store and the techs have never heard of this.  I used their tool and fixed it.  All the techs were amazed. 

Feel much better about my Storm.  Thanks!

New Contributor

You are most welcome Tuxman but thanks must go to Jascias for the fix and Soupmeisterfor his step by step guide.
Super Contributor
My Device: VZW Storm 9530 OS. 4.7.0.148

HMMMM!!!!  so the piece of paper behind the battery wont fix this?????  I looked at this and pondered pretty hard trying to figurer out how a dumb piece of paper behind the battery would fix this issue.. seeing the metal plate and touch screen had nothing to do with each other!!!  the screw's seem to be a "most likely fix" for the touch issue......

My screen seems fine.... but just wanted to add my no more then 2 cents!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to resolve your thread.
Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer!
Please click Kudo's for those who provided help. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor

Ironically, when I went into the local VZW store the techie had his own business card behind the metal plate.  He had not heard of the screw solution and he had been a tremendous source of help over the past couple weeks as a new user to the Storm.  He has been more knowledgeable than any other 1-800 VZW techie I've spoken to.

When I called the 1-800 VZW line they strongly discouraged the card behind the plate first because it wasn't designed for that and secondly one techie heard of overheating and could possibly be dangerous.

After being on the market for over 4 months one would think that VZW would be more knowledgeable about this product.