Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Pearl 8110
My Carrier: att

App error 523 post failed update for contact transfer

Have a Pearl 8110 that has contacts I tried to transfer via usb cable to my laptop.  Downloaded the BB Desktop software, made sure NOT connected via usb mini cable.  THEN connected via cable once software started.   Program noted update needed.  Here's where all my problems started.  Wizard started update "Backup" shows complete, "install" shows "reconnecting to JVM" and another window pops up "App loader unable to re connect" .  Screen on BB alternates with either "App error 523" + "Reset" (reset does nothing) or stays on 2 icons (PC + 2 arrows + phone) and white screen.  Another screen comes up to go to Device Mgr to turn off power mgr to save power.  Did all that and still unable. to restore.  Window to troubleshoot appears to 1 disconnect usb cable wait 10 min.  Reconnect does nothing.  Tried to remove battery and wait.  Help I need my 435 contacts.

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: App error 523 post failed update for contact transfer

Hello stealthrn

Welcome to the forums. 

Have a look at the below article regarding the error you are seeing on your device. 

"Error 523", "App Error 523", or "JVM 523" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

Once you follow the instruction in the article and have your device back up and running do a search on your computer for a .ipd file or a .bbb file, this is going to be the backup file that was created. 

When you locate the file you can then use the below article to restore your contacts to your device:

How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

Hope this helps. Have a good day. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!