Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Application Storage almost full...

On my Torch, I am running out of application storage space, and it is becoming very slow (hourglass running very often).

The issue is not with Applications (less than 200MB), but with "Other" as displayed in the Application Management Screen.

It is not my regular applications (Contacts, emails, appointments,... are under 10MB Total)

Is there a way, are there tools to find out what that "Other" data is, where it is and how to clean it up?

Thanks

Alan

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Torch-Q10-Passport
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Application Storage almost full...

hi Alan

not sure if this is what you mean but try this:

setup > options > at bottom third party applications.

should give you a list of everything there.

Contributor

Thanks, I know, but that does not help, as it gives only the list and size of the applications, but nothing about the data.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch / Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

If you would like to see how much resources each application is using and what applications you blackberry is running.

Menu>Options>Device>Application Management>Swipe to the left

You get a screen Title 'CPU' Now

This is a list of all the problems currently in use on your device and it also gives you a percentage indication of how much of your device resources it is using,

Hope this helps

Hiren

Contributor

Thanks, but I know, and this is not the issue.

The problem is with the Application Storage (Limited to 512MB in the Torch)

and inside that storage, my Applications are less than 200MB and perfectly fine.

But there is also 225MB of "other" (probably data or remnants of memory leaks or whatever) that is taking up pretty much all the space, and that I need to

1- Identify

2- Delete or clean-up

3- Prevent the culprit app from doing it again.

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: B mobile

I also have this problem with my Blackberry Bold. I would like to know what is OTHER in Application storage and how to clean it up as it is picking up a lot of space in my memory and causing my phone to slow down

My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Telus

I Third this problem. I am running on the Torch2 and have to dreadfully do a batt pull just to clear up the issue and keemy sanity. why can't you see what 'other' is? and why can't you see what programs/apps are causing this, it shouldn't be a guessing game. now please come back with a solid answer cuz I've had this issue with the storm2 and the torch1, and i am growing ever so weary of dealing with it. 

Sincerely, a loyal bb user.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I'd like to know this too. I'm using a Bold and it's so slow. The app storage is 256 MB. Applications - 145 MB Other - 41.6 MB Free 69.4 MB The largest app is the BlackBerry software itself. Other than that, I have the following installed: Facebook, BBM, Twitter, In case of Emergency, and WeatherEye. My email is configured to use my gmail account and only the last 15 days. I regularly delete messages. All photos taken by the camera are saved on the SD card. I have no music files, no video files. I've cleared the browser history and cache. I've deleted as many things as it will let me, like the default word processing and presentation apps that come with the software. I've deleted many of the default games. I can't figure out what "Other - 41.6 MB" is. It's frustrating. I can't use my browser because every Web page says it is too large to load and closes. The $100 worth of apps coming in the next few days is going to be useful to me, huh?
Contributor

Yes, and after 10 years with BlackBerry, I just got an Iphone, and I am sorry, but RIM blew it and is going to go the way Palm and others did. Too slow to embrace new operating system, better memory management, standard open java virtual machine, and better web and html functionality.

Alan Guggenheim

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000
My Carrier: Telefonica

Did you ever find out how to handle the application storage issue? Upgraded from OS5 to 6 and application storage has been a headache since.

That "other" storage misteriously grows by tens of megabytes without any clue so far to me.

Thanks and sorry for disturbing.