Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Applications Not working - "Service Not Enabled for this Handheld"

Recently, I was given a Pearl 8100 (21st birthday present).

It's an unlocked, refurbished phone, but I haven't any problems with anything preloaded onto it. I also have a "Blackberry Data Plan" through AT&T. The internet works fine, and the non-internet based applications I've downloaded work fine too.

However, the applications that stream data (Facebook Mobile, AIM Mobile, etc) will download and install properly, but don't run properly. When I try to log-in to them, I get the message "Service Not Enabled for this Handheld" (Except for Facebook mobile, which gives me "Could not connect because a data service is not available. Please Try Again Later. If this continues, contact your service provider for support."). 

I've called AT&T, and was told that the most likely cause for the problem is the application not being the appropriate version. (I was told that if even one application was the wrong version, it could make all of them unusable). I've followed the instructions I was given, and still can't get the applications to run properly. 

Are there any settings I can change, or a place to get the "right" version of the application? Or will I have to live with not being able to get facebook updates 24/7 because it's an unlocked phone?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Re: Applications Not working - "Service Not Enabled for this Handheld"

Hi,

Sounds like you havent got the WAP service enabled.

Do you have a Carrier browser? (Optus Zoo, etc?....)

Can you use that to browse the net?

Do you use the Browser icon?

Does that work?

You say "Stream Data".

Facebook does not stream data, its just a website, like any other...

Youtube can be said to stream data (but not really), and that uses the wap service,...

Let us know how you go!

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Applications Not working - "Service Not Enabled for this Handheld"

No,  WAP is enabled.

Sorry, didn't seem to say "streaming." I meant services that use the data plan, but aren't going through the phones browser. Both the pre-loaded "MediaNET" browser and the Opera Mini browser I use work fine, but applications that access the internet (like AIM and Facebook) don't. Applications that don't use the internet at all work fine.