Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Apps thtat are listed for Z10 but not Z30?

The official name is "Battleship for Blackberry 10".  That should help people trying to find it.

I sent an email to the contact point which is EA games.  Got a generic email back with a link to their FAQ - which amounts to the same as the "support website". - Nowhere.

I'm trying to motivate someone to solve their problem.  I don't really care about battleship although it's well done and I'd like to pay for it.

I expect there are other apps, even "built for blackberry" apps that do not have the 'compatible device" lists updated to include the latest BB10 devices.  What I'm trying to figure out is why and who is actually responsible.

Is this updating an EA responsibility or a Blackberry responsibility?  If it's some combination, what is the path forward for the future for any apps?

Blackberry needs to make this easy.  So far, it's not.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Developers are usually given a chance to opt out before the new device is automatically included.
It's definitely an EA responsibility to make sure their apps work on all listed devices.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

... or make sure if they don't work that they are not listed for that device.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

BBSJdev wrote:
... or make sure if they don't work that they are not listed for that device.

Fair enough.  -But how many times are you going to make a developer go back to the well after they've put all that effort into getting "built for blackberry" status (I assume Blackberry is the responsible party for that)?

From a layman's point of view, and the way Blackberry has inferred it; BB10 is BB10.  Why not just give a status that it's "assumed to work but not tested"?  Is this one aspect of why there are more apps for other platforms? - that apps are basically thrown out there to be "publicly tested" on other platforms?

Developer

I think the rules are slightly more relaxed for games as obviously the difference between say the Z10 and the Q10 or Q5 would mean that some games wouldn't make sense on the smaller screen, but going from a Z10 to a Z30 there shouldn't really be any reason why it doesn't work?

I personally believe the problem's with EA on this, policing the 100,000's apps on every device to make sure they are compliant and work would be a lot of work for any company, Google don't do this and AFAIK Apple don't either (I don't code for iOS). From personal experience BlackBerry do a lot more checking of submitted Apps/Games than other App stores even more so for Built for BlackBerry approval.

The impetus to have an app or game working has to be with the developer as otherwise they won't make money.

I rigorously test my apps on each device as much as possible and I'm only one person, so for EA not to do this with its thousands of employees isn't great and I agree with you there.

New Contributor

I guess the best I can do has been done.  I got my 99 cents back.  -Just very frustrating to see something that you want to give feedback on and don't have the ability to do it.  I can't even review the app because i don't have it anymore.

Thanks for your patience.

Developer

No problem. Best of luck with future purchases.