Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Are the Apps downloaded form BB World controlled and secure.

Hi,

I wonder if BB controls/checks all the applications offered. Many of them require access to personal data etc. and some does not allow installation if not accepted. Is it safe to accept and install?

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Are the Apps downloaded form BB World controlled and secure.

There is definitely more checking than say on an Android phone.

It's always going to be a case of buyer beware no matter how much checking is done, there will always be apps out there trying to trick you in to something.  However BB10 is a very secure OS with each app in it's own sandbox and inaccessible to others.

For extra security you can look for apps that have the Built for BlackBerry designation indicating that they have gone through a much more rigorous checking procedure (including security). Apps that have been ported from Android cannot get this designation so if you have a choice and are concerned avoid Android ports, choose native and if possible those awarded Built for BlackBerry.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.