Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630
My Carrier: BeeLine

Assistance to unlock Blackberry Tour 9630 smartphone

Hello!

I bought a smartphone Blackberry 9630 Tour of locked to the operator Verizon.
   Firmware version - v5.0.0.591 (Bundle 1059, Platform 4.2.0.284).
   Separately purchased unlock code phone - the phone started to work with SIM cards my operator Beeline.
 But, there is a question. Tab - Options - Password-enabled password lettering on a blue background - Enabled - and padlock. Password can not be disabled - the menu does not even have that option. Further, on the tab - Options - Security Options - Firewall - Status - Enabled, again locking yellow on a blue background, as you can not disable. Next tab - Options - Security Options - Information available IT policies, in my view, and prevents the removal of the password - IT Policy Name: Secure BB_CHNG03622757 Last Updated: Oct 14,2010 01:41.

When you restart your phone, you need a password to unlock - this I understood, the password changed. But when you connect your phone to your computer when you run the program, BlackBerry Desktop Software, and other similar programs, you have to enter a password to access. Password that I type when loading the phone does not fit. Because of this, I can not update the phone software and install the Russian language. I contacted the seller, he replied that he had no additional passwords never established that all was well after purchasing the phone.
Please help me to solve this issue with the removal of the lock, in order to fully enjoy the work of this remarkable device.

Best Regards, Viktor

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Assistance to unlock Blackberry Tour 9630 smartphone

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you say, I fear you have been misled by the seller...refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

The required seller steps have not been carried out. Your BB remains with an IT Policy that is blocking many functions. The IT Policy is there due to the BB having been, at some point in the past, associated with a BES/Enterprise environment, and was never properly cleansed of that.

You can do so yourself, but you will be "hoping for the best" that the seller has properly completed all of their other steps. If you wish to try, then please conduct the Buyer steps in that KB, and add one more step:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

When you restore, DO NOT do a complete restore...rather, only do a selective restore of databases you require (e.g., Contacts, Calendar) but DO NOT restore any databases that discuss anything about IT Policy. See the link in my auto-sig on this post for complete backups recommendations.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Many thanks to you, brother, for a really sensible and practical advice!

I will write the seller to "unfettered" smartphone from BES.

Best Regards, Viktor

New Contributor

Dear friend, thank you very much for your help with the answer!
              There is another open question. I wrote the seller, using data from your answer that you need to do, but he either did not understand me, or is there some other "problematic issues" that I can not understand, as we say in Russia, "pitfalls". Seller replied that he did so. But I myself think that if he had done all that the IT policy would be dropped. In connection with this question, can I, and in general, have a right to call your service provider, most likely Verizon, once the smartphone is locked on Verizon, knowing the bear and pin device, the name of the IT policy and the date of its renewal with a request to clear the IT policy device? If yes, you can, please link to it.

With great hope and respect, Viktor

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You misunderstand...let me explain further.

I agree with your assessment that the seller did not complete their steps properly -- the IT Policy indeed would have been removed if they had done so.

But, you misunderstand the source of the IT Policy. The IT Policy does not come from the carrier (e.g., Verizon). Rather, it typically comes from some corporate entity which was hosting, for their employees, an Enterprise Server (BES) environment for their corporate attached BlackBerry devices. Hence, contacting a carrier for this would be of no use as the carrier was not the source that placed the IT Policy onto the device.

But, as I stated earlier, you can remove the IT Policy for yourself, by following the ResetToFactory procedure I provided you (KB31291). The risk you run is that, if the seller indeed did not fully complete all of your steps, then removal of the IT Policy may not be adequate to enable the device to function fully.

For example, if the device remains registered to that Enterprise system, then that system could potentially "reach out" and re-associate the device back to it, and place the IT Policy right back onto the device.

Or, even if that does not happen, it is possible that the device was not removed from the carrier-hosted consumer level system (BIS) at a prior carrier (step 2 in KB05099), then your carrier may not be able to create a proper BIS account in their system so as to enable full functionality. One BB PIN can exist in only one carrier BIS system anywhere in the world at any given moment in time.

Or, the device may well be reported as lost/stolen, in which case no carrier will be able to create a proper BIS account for it, and no BB-proprietary services will ever work on it.

As the recipient of the device, there is very little that you can actually accomplish. If any of the above suspicions are true (I have no way to know if they are true or not...they are merely suspicions), then you will be unable to use this device to its fullest. For example, if the BB PIN indeed remains associated to some other carrier BIS system, then they typically only agree to a release request from their actual account holder -- which would not be you.

I fear you may be the unlucky recipient of a device that may never work. But, until you try (ResetToFactory, followed by proper registration for BIS on your carrier), you will not know for sure.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Now he understood. Thanks a lot!