Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Attempt to upgrade to OS 4.5 met with "fatal error, try again"

I just recently got a Blackberry Curve from Verizon. I read about the OS upgrade, and connected my device to the Blackberry desktop manager V 4.7 and hit the update button, after backing up the software it gave me a message "Fatal Error, Try Again". I tried several times with the same outcome.

After seaching the forums here and other places on the web, it appears this is a common problem. It also appears that there is no real solution for this, no way to contact RIM about it, and that the phone carriers don't know jack about what to do about it, other than give people new phones. In fact, after reading people's posts I realized I'm lucky my phone still works and isn't just a white screen.

I'd like to upgrade my system, as I have heard OS 4.5 is a big improvement. I also don't want to mess around and completely ruin my phone, and spend 1 hour at the Verizon store, and then 2 hours reinstalling and reconfiguring everything. 

What's going on?

Anyone here know what to do about this?

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Attempt to upgrade to OS 4.5 met with "fatal error, try again"

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I would download the device software from the Verizon site, install it to the PC and use

the application loader to upgrade your device.  the link to Verizon and the correct upgrade procedure

are below.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer

Verizon's Blackberry software download site:

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal

Read TANZIM'S POST:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=General_Functions&thread.id=3209

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter