Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Paper cup

AutoText backup & restore

Didn't find a solution reading old threads on this...

I got a replacement phone, same model & OS version, and could not transfer the autotext word substitutions, even using the latest Desktop Software.

It seemed to successfully back up the database, the backup shows 3 "word substitition" databases and 1 "word substitution version" database, but when trying a restore to the replacement phone, it says they didn't transfer.

I've already copied everything over manually, but what a pain, shouldn't this be able to be exported and imported?  I've got a lot of  shortcuts that generate customer service responses, and really need to be able to backup & restore those.

For now I've cut-and-pasted them all into a memo, which does get backed up, but that's a lot of manual cut-and-paste work to recreate them all.

Please RIM, if the databases can't transfer, then make a way to export to a file and import on the other phone.  There's also no apparent way to separate our own additions to what was built-in, which makes it harder.

My Device: Z10, Onyx2
My Carrier: IND XL

Re: AutoText backup & restore

autotextbackup for os6 and os7
maybe this will a solution for you
available at mobihand and appworld
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

I was able to find a fix for this.

We are in an enterprise environment so encountered the problem

Issue: could not transfer autotext from bold 9700 to new bold 9900 Word Substitution

Installed latest version of BB Desktop Manager

Backup old device & disconnect it and put it away

On new device go into 

Options / Advanced System Settings / Service Book

Delete Desktop [SYNC] (dont worry you can undelete it later)

Connect new device to Desktop Manager

Choose Restore

Pick the backup you just made of your old device

Choose Select device data and settings

Choose AutoText (and/or others)

Click Restore

Disconnect Deviice

On new device go into 

Options / Advanced System Settings / Service Book

Press Menu Button, and Choose Undelete

Thanks to  Michele for the need, Brian for helping out and to RIM for providing solution on support call.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I am having difficulty finding the item you refer to in the service books. Maybe its because I am not on a BES but a BIS from Fido ? Can you help me locate where I would temporarily delete Desktop Sync as you mentioned so I can get the Auto text from V6 on a 9000 to my 9900. Thanks in advance

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

GREAT NEWS FOR YOU. When it shows "Word Substitutions = 3" when you backup your Blackberry Bold 9900 , don't worry -- it really does have ALL the word substitutions (assuming you are doing a backup FROM and TO the Bold 9900). I tested this with a 2nd 9900 and it worked fine (my work device after removing Desktop (SYNC) as suggested above temporarily.) This does not help with the upgrade issue (e.g. Bold 9700 to Bold 9900) -- I had to manually enter everything in the 9900. But at least having done that once I am happy I dont have to do it again!!! Hope this helps.

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Q-tel

is it working on BB Bold 9780 OS6 ?

i went to Service Book, but i didn't find the Desktop (SYNC) !!