Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Automatic Log Out/Password Protection

I am making a rocky transition to my first Blackberry ...

My biggest problem is that I wanted to password protect only my media files, but doing so automatically added the password protection to the entire unit.  Is there a way to keep only my media files hidden or encrypted without having to password protect the entire Blackberry? There doesn't seem to be a way to disable password protection once it has been enabled -- the only choice is to change the password. Once you have enabled password protection, is there a way to remove it without wiping the unit clean? 

The other issue which is problematic is the length of time which passes before the BB moves into password protected mode.  The unit goes into password-protected mode after only 20 or 30 seconds, making it almost impossible to use the BB for GPS or other functions while driving since you have to repeatedly punch in the password.

I would really appreciate a solution to these two problems -- these interfere so much with being able to use the BlackBerry that I am considering getting rid of it.  Thanks!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Automatic Log Out/Password Protection

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you have your password setup for the BBdevice and want to disable it:

GO OPTIONS SECURITY OPTIONS GENERAL SETTING first option is password enabled/disabled.

If you elect to keep your password but it locks to frequently, use the security timeout option that you can set to a max

of 1 hour. Notice you can also set it to lock handheld in holster to yes or no.

As far as password protecting media files, I do not think that is an option. However let's say you want to have some pictures not display automatically. You can crate a subdirectory under pictures on your media card and store the pictures

there. Unless someone know to look there, they will remain unseen.

Please let me know if you need anymore information or help!

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thanks!  The one hour timeout should make it work. 

Do you have an explanation why sometimes when I click on the highlighted Enabled entry on the password line of general settings, it returns the menu list down on the left (Help/Change Password/Wipe Handheld/Verify Security Software/Etc) which does not have a "Disable" option, and sometimes it returns the choice Enabled/Disabled in the upper right hand corner?

Thanks again

Guru I

[ Edited ]

The list contacting wipe that occurs when you are on the password line, is because you have pressed the menu (spotted) key instead of the escape > ) key. When you change an option and want to save, press escape. By highlighting an item and pressing the menu key you are given more options for that entry.

If this answers your questions, please take a minute to resolve this thread via the resolution box.

If you need more information please ask!

Thanks!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-19-2008 03:50 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Okay, associated problem ... Is there a way to keep the thing from turning itself off after a couple of minutes?  When I have completed the above fixes, I attempt to open for the first time either the music files or a folder with photos. The Blackberry sits there, processing everything which can take some time (I would hope that once it had initially processed a folder that it would not go through this whole agonizingly long process each time...).  A folder with 22 photos takes over 20 minutes.  The BlackBerry turns itself off or goes into sleep mode after 2 or 3 minutes unless I play with the trackball to keep it from going into sleep mode.  If it goes into sleep mode (or whatever happens when the screen blacks out) while I am opening a picture folder and waiting for everything to load, the BlackBerry locks up and the only way get it back is to pull the battery.  This cannot be right. Is there a way to set this timeout (or whatever it is) for an hour or more? 

Does the BlackBerry software or hardware have a size limit to a photo file that can be opened?  I set some sort of file cache up to 5mb from the 2mb default, but have seen no difference in the problems with opening folders and displaying thumbnails.

Thanks!

New Contributor

I have a Sprint Curve 8830 and I don't seem to have an escape key (there is no left or right carrot symbols anywhere and pushing each and every button on the thing doesn't bring up the Enabled/Disabled choice).  What am I missing here?

Thanks again

Guru I

Just to recap,

You have a media card?

To increase the screen timeout feature go to OPTIONS SCREEN KEYBOARD and change backlight timeout to 2min,(that is the max)

The File cache field you monitored is in media manager OPTIONS this cache is for your device memory only. If you keep you media on the media card, you should reset this option back to two, as it will release more memory to your device.

It is not normal for taking 20 minutes to open the pictures directory, or to lock up. The unit does not go to sleep when the backlight go out, it is merely conserving power, via the options we set above.

Please go to OPTIONS STATUS and send me the numbers for file free and file total?

Thanks

Guru I

The keys I am referring to are located directly to the left and right of the trackball.

To the left of the trackball should be a spotted key that is your menu key. The button to the left of that it the green telephone key.

To the right of the trackball is a curved arrow key that is the escape key, to the right of that is the red telephone key

Have you got them centered now?

Please let me know!

New Contributor

Thanks for your attention in this ...

I have an 8 GB media card.

The information you asked for from the Options Status are:

File Free:    47 010 600

File Total:   83 623 936

I don't want to sound completely inept, but in the security options menu password setting, hitting the menu button or pressing on the trackball brings up the menu list down on the left (Help/Change Password/Wipe Handheld/Verify Security Software/Etc), and pressing the escape key brings you up one level to the general options menu.  Do you need to hold down another button while clicking on the escape button in order to activate it?

A two minute timeout is puny. It is hard for me to believe that they do not give you the option of at least 5 minutes and 10 minutes. I would rather keep the thing plugged in all the time than to get booted out like this.  Although it is openly the screen that blacks out, sometimes my BlackBerry doesn't recover from the timeout and fails (the screen will come back on, but the BlackBerry will not respond to any of the keys).  Perhaps because the unit takes so long to respond (twenty minutes for the photo files), it simply times out again and again and you can never get anywhere.

I segregated my photo files in an attempt to solve the slow file loading issue.  The photos that are in the 40 to 80kb range seem to load as expected,  the photos in the 100 to 200kb range load somewhat more slowly, and I deleted all of the larger files. Is there an optimal number of files in each folder?  It seems folders with a smaller number of files (say, no more than 25) are less of a processing load than folders with 150 or 250 files.

Thanks for helping out!

Highlighted

I too am have similar issues.  I would like to disable the password all together but when I follow the instructions to do so I see a small red lock next to the word "enabled" with no option for disable.  I understand the need for a password however I am concerned that I don't have the option to change the option to disable.

Anyone?