Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Gibtel

BB 8520 Curve - X beside the Antenna symbol

My son has a Blackberry 8520 Curve but he cannot connect to any network. It was fine until this morning. We have noticed that an X has appeared beside the Network Antenna symbol on the screen. I have checked that all connections are switched on and even chenged SIM card!! Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Dan.

Super Contributor
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

Re: BB 8520 Curve - X beside the Antenna symbol

SIM card slot on the phone can be defective as I assume since you've tried different SIM card to check.. Have you by anychange tried restarting the phone on safe mode. Well, I can't be so sure whether safe mode helps but just try it out..

KB17877 - How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.
New Contributor

Thanks, but that unfortunately didnt work. Anyone else?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

See this for info:

• KB02334 Network status indicators from the GSM/GPRS/EDGE/3G/4G networks

As it states, the X means that the BB is not in range of a carrier network that can work with the BB. It could be as simple as a tower failure of the carrier or as complicated as something else. But, while the KB says that it's a range thing, it also could be more. What else is displayed up there please?

Also, please check the Mobile Network options to be sure that the device radio is set to the correct settings for the carrier on which it is supposed to be operating.

You may have to make a trip down to the shop of the mobile service provider to see why it suddenly has no signal. You pay them for all services, and that makes them responsible for all formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks, went to my service provider and they said that my sim card was working fine and that the fault was with the phone. So now I am back on square one! Anyone else has any other ideas?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

So, you must have purchased your BB from other than your service provider. In such cases, there can indeed be a conflict concerning support. The BB itself is formally supported by your original place of purchase and/or an authorized service center (it varies by region). Your BB services are supported by your mobile service provider since they provide those. But, if indeed the device is at fault here and my assumption concerning where you obtained the device is correct, then yes your service provider is correct to refuse service. Of course, quite often one quickly blames the other in such cases as it makes their duties much simpler at the moment of the user request for service (so much quicker to just blame the other rather than actually try to resolve anything). Such is the complication of not obtaining everything directly from the Service Provider.

So, we continue trying to help you with the device itself. But, it would be so much easier to help you if you would answer the questions that are asked...I asked some questions above, but you have not answered those. Hence, all I can at this point do is refer you back to what I've already recommended...

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

sdgardne, the display only shows the X beside the antenna symbol and where your mobile providers name should appear it says searching for networks. I have checked all the settings and all my other mobile phoes work ok and have coverage. I have also checked the phone using another sim card and still nothing.

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

Hmmm...what about physical location? Have you tried from multiple locations (just in case it is a tower failure or something)? Then again, you have already have done so by going to your carriers shop...hmmm...

Have you tried that SIM in other devices? I know they said at the shop that the SIM was fine, but it's always best to test fully.

As for the other SIM you tried in this BB, was that the same carrier?

And, just to triple check, please verify that the BB is indeed unlocked:

Beyond all of that...any chance of physical damage of any kind? Moisture intrusion? Dropped? Anything? Unfortunately, barring everything we've discussed already, that's pretty much all that can think of...

Good luck!