Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

BB 8520 from Movistar will not pick up WIFI signal on Tmobile

Hello all the geniuses out there.

My buddy from Colombia gave a 8520 BB purchased by him in Colombia from Movistar where he has his account. I had it unlocked and it works fine with my Tmobile Sim card.

The only thing is that it will not pick up WIFI signal to make phone calls. Do I need to change any settings or download software ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ed

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BB 8520 from Movistar will not pick up WIFI signal on Tmobile

In order to get UMA you need a TMobile branded phone.  An unlocked device from another carrier will not work for UMA.  Sorry...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

Thank you for your reply.

So what  a phone with WIFI and no UMA can do ?

I am a Tmobile customers for 10 years and I haven't expirience other carriers. Before that I did not have a cell phone, I had a pager.

Thanks again.

Ed

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

You can still use wifi for data. There are only a few carriers out there that even support UMA so there are lots of devices that use wifi but don't have UMA. If you do some searching of the internet there are some ways to get UMA on an unlocked device but I can't post about them here as they are unauthroized procedures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!