Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8800
My Carrier: E-Plus

BB 8800 gives error "uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCastException"

Hi,

after connecting the 8800 via bluetooth with the new RNS310 radio in my car the 8800 shows the error message "uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCastException" when the RNS310 tries to access the phone book and to download it to the radio-internal phone book. The option for the bluetooth connection in the 8800 is set to

- not "visible",

- address book transfer "all entries",

The event log shows the folllowing entries:

guid:0x9C3CD62E3320B498 timeSmiley SadUTC) Wed Aug 10 17:28:53 2011  severity:1 type:3 app:Java Exception data:
 ClassCastException
 No detail message
 net_rim_bluetooth
  BluetoothDeviceManagerImpl
  getAddressCards
  0x1C68
 net_rim_bluetooth
  PBAPServer
  <private>
  0xA270
 net_rim_bluetooth
  PBAPServer
  <private>
  0xA650
 net_rim_bluetooth
  PBAPServer
  onGet
  0x9EAA
 net_rim_bluetooth-1
  OBEXServerSession
  handleNextRequest
  0x29E1
 net_rim_bluetooth-1
  OBEXServerSession
  run
  0x2769
 net_rim_cldc-1
  Thread
  run
  0xB767

Is there any possibility to update the 8800 software / firmware to get rid of the error? I always have to disconnect the battery and restart.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB 8800 gives error "uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCastException"

Hello Tomtom8800 and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

The error message you are seeing is indicating there is an error with your device software and to fix this, you need to do a software reinstallation.

Back up your device data and follow the steps in KB11320 to do the software reload. 

Before you restore any essential data, create a test Contact entry and re-pair the BlackBerry to your car radio. Do you get the error message?

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the reply and the warm welcome. I have the German version installed which is not offering the switch to other versions, so I will have to uninstall the German version and will have to install the English one to follow your description. I will come back to you as soon as I have done this and have run the described steps.

Cheers,

Tomtom8800

Retired

Let me know how you make out.

If you haven't already uninstalled your German version, you can still do the software reload, you just select the German equivalent in the Menu to complete the reload.

-HMthePirate

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have already uninstalled the German and installed the English version as I haven't been able to get the button "view other versions". Now I have tried it several times and I receive the error message "There was an error updating your software. ... Please try again." That I have done five times now and I am a bit running out of patience ;-)

Any suggestion besides throwing away and buying new?

Tomtom8800

Retired

There is a loader.exe tool located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (or if you are using a 64 bit C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Remove the battery from your BlackBerry and launch the Loader tool. You will see either USB PIN: Unknown or your actual device PIN.

As the loading process starts, there will be a list of steps to be completed in the loading process. One of those steps listed will say "Wait for Device Initialization". When you see the arrow get to this steps, reinsert your battery.

If you still get the same error, let me know and we will investigate further from there.

Good luck!

-HMthePirate

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey there,

thanks. Tried that one. There is a deviation from your instruction in my process. The loader is not processing without an USB Pin therefore I reconnected the battery in this step already. Message received that software has been updated by end of loader process.

Then re-run the update process as described by you before with the same error message popping up. Tried the complete run with loader and update three times to ensure that it is always the same error message, independent from the previous update versions I have been offered.

Does it make sense to go on?

Regards,

Tomtom8800

Retired

If you tried using the loader tool and it failed, then you will want to contact your mobile network carrier as they are able to escalate you to Research In Motion to have this further investigated.

-HMthePirate

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for your help and support.

Will talk to our IT department and they will have to decide. I think the option to get a new BOLD or CURVE will be more easier than following up although I like this one with the track ball. It fits better to my fingers as the touchpad, maybe have to get used to it.

Have a nice time!

Tomtom8800