Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Vodafone 9520
My Carrier: M1 Singapore

BB 9520 What is Blackberry doing about this?

Hi,

When i first purchased BB i looked up to it as i heard all the good stuff about it and was really happy about actually getting one.

However, now after using this for a year i am very disappointed with Blackberry in general and would like to voice this out on behalf not only of myself but also over a dozen of my friends that are extremely frustrated with BB so far.

I am using BB 9520 Vodafone and there is a major lack of support from BB in terms of fixing present pressing issues. I have all the latest updates and versions installed via desktop software provided.

Firstly,

Why is there no new OS for BB 9520? All the other models have OS 6.0 while 9520 is still running on 5? OS 5 is far from perfect for 9520.

Secondly,

Touchscreen issue. Occasionally the screen refuses to respond to any pressing, no matter what and where you press on the screen it does one and one thing only - exits to home screen, the only way to overcome this - have to spam the menu button about 20-30 times to get the screen to respond again.

Thirdly,

There is a constant issue with BBM - occasionally after receiving a BBM msg from someone you are unable to open the chat at all, even if you delete the chat you are still unable to BBM that individual, the only way to overcome it - reboot the phone.

Fourthly,

Hang up / answer call buttons refusing to work occasionally, this really isn't funny when you're receiving an important business call and listening to your phone ring in your face while spamming the answer button or the touchscreen answer button to no avail until the call ends, the only way to overcome this issue is once again after you've missed the call spam the menu button until the keys decide to start functioning again.

Fifth,

Unbelievable, this issue has been reported first time nearly 3 years ago and until today there is no fix from BB?!?!?!?!? Sync with gmail. When you sync with gmail all your contacts are no longer "all" contacts, they are now contacts in "xxxx@gmail.com" contact list. The best part is - if you change your gmail account or wish to sync with another account - you can't move those "xxx@gmail.com" contact list - the new sync is a new contact list.

Right now i have my contact list in a state that  i can no longer comprehend - sync is on for the new email account and all my contacts are in that email's contact list, however, BB refuses to sync them and the option in the contact list properties is "not available", while in the email settings - it's all turned on and looking good... The lengthy solution that BB presented via wiping the phone is .... wiping the phone? Seriously?

Sixth,

Reception, full bar drops to zero in a split second any time

Seventh,

Videos recorded are apparently in "unrecognized format" once in a while

The list goes on.

This model has been out in the market for a long enough time for any company to hotfix the issues, what is BB doing about this? From the RESULT that i have seen in the last year - nothing.

This isn't my personal issue - if you would like to check around it is nearly impossible to sell off this phone to even a second hand shop, they won't offer you more than 30-50 USD for this model for the simple fact - it is this bad and everyone knows it.

As much as i would like to keep my faith in BB - i am beyond disappointed now and have no choice but to switch to either android or iphone simply because this is the only model from BB that has big touchscreen without wasting space for those tiny keys.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: BB 9520 What is Blackberry doing about this?

Blackend wrote:

Hi,

Hi and welcome to the forums!

When i first purchased BB i looked up to it as i heard all the good stuff about it and was really happy about actually getting one.

However, now after using this for a year i am very disappointed with Blackberry in general and would like to voice this out on behalf not only of myself but also over a dozen of my friends that are extremely frustrated with BB so far.

I am using BB 9520 Vodafone and there is a major lack of support from BB in terms of fixing present pressing issues. I have all the latest updates and versions installed via desktop software provided.

Firstly,

Why is there no new OS for BB 9520? All the other models have OS 6.0 while 9520 is still running on 5? OS 5 is far from perfect for 9520.

The only  information I trust when it comes to new device OS releases is 2 weeks after I have installed it and I know it worksThe carriers are provided the device OS by RIM. The carrier decides when or if it will be released. My carrier is Verizon Wireless according to every article I have read VZW tested it and decided not to release it. This was in July i beleive. I wouldn't be surprised if they released it tommorrow.

Secondly,

Touchscreen issue. Occasionally the screen refuses to respond to any pressing, no matter what and where you press on the screen it does one and one thing only - exits to home screen, the only way to overcome this - have to spam the menu button about 20-30 times to get the screen to respond again.

I have the 9530 and the 9550 I have seen the problembut very rarely. Personally I would pull the battey rather than keep hammering at a key.

Thirdly,

There is a constant issue with BBM - occasionally after receiving a BBM msg from someone you are unable to open the chat at all, even if you delete the chat you are still unable to BBM that individual, the only way to overcome it - reboot the phone.

Please post back and tell us what version of BB messenger you have installed and what version of device OS you are running.

Fourthly,

Hang up / answer call buttons refusing to work occasionally, this really isn't funny when you're receiving an important business call and listening to your phone ring in your face while spamming the answer button or the touchscreen answer button to no avail until the call ends, the only way to overcome this issue is once again after you've missed the call spam the menu button until the keys decide to start functioning again.

It's begging to sound like your device may be periodically low on memory. I will attach a link at the bottom that will give you some great tips on maximizing your memory usage. Four of the most basic and easiest ways to save memory is to exit applications correclty. 1) Every program has a menu>close>exit option. Users who use the escape key or the red key leave applicatons open.

2) Using a media card for storing files. Device memory is flash or dynamic, allocated where needed. Using device memory  to store files means you have less dynamic memory to allocate and have perfomance issues as a result. 3) Make a daily habit of cleaning the browser cache

surpising how many users don't ever do this. 4) I recommend highly a battery pull at least once a  day. It's simply the best way to reset the device.

Fifth,

Unbelievable, this issue has been reported first time nearly 3 years ago and until today there is no fix from BB?!?!?!?!? Sync with gmail. When you sync with gmail all your contacts are no longer "all" contacts, they are now contacts in "xxxx@gmail.com" contact list. The best part is - if you change your gmail account or wish to sync with another account - you can't move those "xxx@gmail.com" contact list - the new sync is a new contact list.

I got bit by that dog as wellI will attach links for disablig the contacts and calendar sync.

Right now i have my contact list in a state that  i can no longer comprehend - sync is on for the new email account and all my contacts are in that email's contact list, however, BB refuses to sync them and the option in the contact list properties is "not available", while in the email settings - it's all turned on and looking good... The lengthy solution that BB presented via wiping the phone is .... wiping the phone? Seriously?

I didn't wipe my device I deleted the contacts data base and did a one way sync from Outlook to the device. I'll see if I can find a couple of post on it. I found a "down and dirty" workaround before i learned how to prevent it. You can set your Gmail account to you can "point" to group that you want to sync contacts with. You then wittle away with some filters to narrow it down. I have 2 Gmail accounts by using the groups and filters all they looked for was each other! Smiley Wink

Sixth,

Reception, full bar drops to zero in a split second any time

To my left is a window where I can see a cell tower. I swivle my deskk chair to the right and lose a bar immediately, for about 4 seconds. I think it's the nature of the beast, not much to do there.

Seventh,

Videos recorded are apparently in "unrecognized format" once in a while

I have had this happen several times, and have read posts about it as well. In my case it "operator error" for the most part. I wasn't being patient when saving and replaying the video.

One of the main causes I see is the video file isbeing saved to the device rather than the media card.

The list goes on.

This model has been out in the market for a long enough time for any company to hotfix the issues, what is BB doing about this? From the RESULT that i have seen in the last year - nothing.

This isn't my personal issue - if you would like to check around it is nearly impossible to sell off this phone to even a second hand shop, they won't offer you more than 30-50 USD for this model for the simple fact - it is this bad and everyone knows it.

$30-$50 reallyHow many can you get your hands on I'll pay the shjipping from my end....

I'm sorry, lost my train of thought there, Now where were we? :smileyvery-happy:

As much as i would like to keep my faith in BB - i am beyond disappointed now and have no choice but to switch to either android or iphone simply because this is the only model from BB that has big touchscreen without wasting space for those tiny keys.

Bifocals isn't just knickname, it's a condtion! The reason the 9550 is perfect for me is I can see the screen and the keyboard clearly. Have you seen the ads for the Monaco (Storm 3)? Looks pretty promising bigger screen, faster processor running OS 6.0. and maybe the trackpad will  fall off in the design phase.

Please give the links a read and if we can help let us know.

(I'm going to login to Verizon and see if OS 6.0 snuck out.....:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB19271How to disable Google Mail contact synchronization

KB24205How to disable calendar synchronization with Gmail

KB23767 Unable to play back a YouTube video on the BlackBerry smartphone using a Wi-Fi connection

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
My Device: 9530 storm 2
My Carrier: rim

Honestly, if I had read all these about the Storm 9520, I wouldn't have bought it. For the past two months now, I can't make or receive calls with the phone and all efforts by my technicians to solve it have proven abortive. Since I bought this phone its been one problem or the other. All these problems stated here are still true of this model [or perhaps BB]. I shall never purchase a BB in my life for the frustrations and disappointments I have faced with my 9520. Personally I think RIM owes me a refund for purchasing this piece of worthless gizmo. If they don't...oh well...its my loss. But I hope this message goes out to as many as were tempted to buy a BB in the future!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9530 storm 2
My Carrier: rim

Dear RIM,

Can something be done about the 9520? It is so frustrating and frankly am saving money to buy a good phone like an android or Nokia just so I can be rid of this contraption! Why isn't the manufacturer responding to our questions anyways? It should be admitted at least that this model of phone is a failure completely. And please don't tell me to refer to the appended legal jargons one is constantly made to agree to always. What a waste of money, time and resources...