Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

BB 9780 signal issues, switching from GSM to EDGE and back

Hello,

i recently bought BB 9780 and was very excited about it.  But this was short lived. The status on my BB says GSM and sometimes EDGE....my service provider is Vodafone and i complained about the problem, they asked me to reinsert the sim properly, put the sim in another phone and see if EDGE was appearing, pull up the battery, put them back after 5 minutes...i tried all the tricks....even changing the network selection from automatic to manual...still no luck.  Am now worried if its a problem in the phone or with the service provider.  Can somebody please help!!

My Device: bold 9870
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: BB 9780 signal issues, switching from GSM to EDGE and back

Exactly the same problem I am having! Also on vodafone. Help!

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: MTN Cameroon

What exactly is your problem?
EDGE means your BIS/BES account is working, and if its GSM, you might just be out of your carriers 3G coverage.
New Contributor

EDGE means my blackberry network is on. if it just says GSM then i am only being covered by phone network and i will not be able to receive / send any message on GSM network. The status on my phone says EDGE sometimes and sometimes (mostly) GSM. I tried to switch from Manual to automatic. I have lodged a complaint with the Vodaphone and they have borrowed time till 20th of this month to rectify it. I tried using the sim on older blackberry..its says EDGE and after few minutes same GSM...but resumes back to EDGE quickly. So i was guessing if its a problem with new phone nor the network...am still puzzled.
New Contributor

It definitely is a problem with your network carrier. Be patient until the 20th then contact them again if your problem persists....Just set your phone to automatic network detection and leave it that way. Option>Mobile network then edit your network selection mode.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I shall wait and see till 20th. Now the network is on automatic mode. a colleague was saying it could be a hardware issue and he too had faced this in his earlier days of buying 3g phone.
New Contributor

You are welcome Anytime. And if I may ask, what was his solution?
New Contributor

my colleague visited the blackberry center where they rectified his hardware issue + he had a problem with the media card port. Hope mine just remains network problem. in the home it is EDGE and in the office it says GSM..God save me!!
New Contributor

It means your network coverage at work is not good enough to supply 3G. It just is a network coverage issue.
New Contributor

Everybody's phone at my office shows EDGE at times 3Gwith the same Vodaphone carrier. Not sure what is the actual problem with mine. I bought this phone last week. and ever since this issue.