Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: na

BB 9790 being all strange

Hi all!

I sometime ago plugged by rather new 9790 into a faulty USB port. The port was sparking and since then my phone hasnt been the same. Sometimes on restarting the touch screen doesnt work unless I restart it again. Another example would be that it now doesnt display the contact's name when I receive a phone call from one stored in my phonebook. And now its become worse! It switches off and restarts on its own randomly or when I use the camera flash. Sometimes it doesnt even fully restart and switches off to then restart again. I also notice that when this happens the phone gets warm. This restarting behaviour is becoming quite a pain and I would like to solve it.

1.Can you please advise where to start diagnosing from?

2. Also, I have encrypted and password protected the phone so the BB desktop software asks for a password when I plug in the phone. Will that be the same password that's used to unlock the phone?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB 9790 being all strange

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

isaac12345 wrote:

1.Can you please advise where to start diagnosing from?

Based on what you described, unless you are a qualified BB hardware technician, I would not start at all. Rather, seek a local (to you) qualified BB hardware technician to give you a proper evaluation and estimate. What happened may have destroyed your BB, and it may well be beyond the point of economical repair...but only a professional, with the device in their hands, can render for you a proper opinion. At an internet distance, all we'd be doing is guessing...which won't be worth much.

isaac12345 wrote:

2. Also, I have encrypted and password protected the phone so the BB desktop software asks for a password when I plug in the phone. Will that be the same password that's used to unlock the phone?

Yes.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: 8830
My Carrier: iiberry

When I have some problem, the first thing I would do is reload the system.
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- SQC-100-4
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I don't think reloading the software will do a think. When the port sparked, that most likely shorted out parts of the motherboard.
1. If a post has helped you, show your appreciation by clicking Like at the bottom of the message box.
2. If a post has solved your question, please click ''accept as solution'' to verify your question has been solved.