Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: TORCH 9800
My Carrier: SFR

BB 9800 TORCH POOR SFR SIGNAL RECEPTION

Hi,

i have recently suscribed to french mobile operator SFR in France , with a mobile phone Blackberry 9800 Torch .

Since that i notice serious reception problems at my home ( very poor/leak reception of the SFR signal ) and sometimes i can't even receive or make calls with my mobile ( edge 1 bar or SOS )

So , SFR was contacted and are able to propose the so called " SFR HOME 3G " ( which is more or less a signal amplifier via an internet box and an antenna ) but this system is not compatible with the BB Torch 9800 .

see here below the "SFR HOME 3 G" url site ( where you can see that the 9800 Torch is not compatible ) :

http://www.sfr.fr/vos-services/equipements/innovations/sfr-home-3g/comment-ca-marche/

So my question is :

Does RIM intend to upgrade the BB Torch 9800 to the standard of the "SFR HOME 3 G " box in order to use it in case ( my case ) of very poor SFR signal at home?

Thanks for answer and information about that , because this would be the only solution for me ( and probably for other customers ) to keep the BB Torch 9800 .

Best regards ,

F VOGEL

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB 9800 TORCH POOR SFR SIGNAL RECEPTION

Hello VOGEL and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Issues with network coverage is something your mobile carrier can better address. 

The "SFR HOME 3 G " box is something unique to your mobile carrier and your question about compatibility with the Torch 9800 is better answered by them.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: TORCH 9800
My Carrier: SFR

Hi,

you could easily immagine that all questions concerning this problem and the SFR home 3 G box have already been adressed to SFR !!

I wished some help from Blackberry but i realize that it does not seem to be your problem and now i do regret  to use à BB mobile phone !

The BB Torch 9800 is not compatible with the SFR Home 3 G box because of Streaming problems with the BB phone , and only Blackberry is able to know if an update will occur in that way , understand now ?

regards

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Research In Motion is unable to comment on unreleased software and products. 

Any software update are at the discretion of each mobile network carrier. They are the ones who decide what devices to carry and what software releases to support.

Your questions are best addressed by your mobile network carrier.

Thanks.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi There,
I too seem to be having a problem with the mobile signal reception. i have the BB Torch 9800. when the network selection is in automatic mode it starts searching for a 3G network and then immediately goes into SOS mode, i then have to select the mobile network manually, it then works fine for some time but then again it goes into SOS mode, i have to repeat this process 'n ' number of times in a day and am getting tired of it though i am a big fan of BB.
Would you be able to advice on this? also, i am using a 2G network sim card (just for information ;-) ).
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

@bbfan123
I suggest you configure your device to use "2G" instead of "3G" or of "2G & 3G".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Xandrex,

I think your suggestion is logical but it defeats the purpose of having a 3G phone. I recently upgraded from a Storm (the first version - 9530 I think) to the Torch 9800.  My timing was off because the 9810 came out a week later....

But my point is that the reception with the Storm was superior to that which I am experiencing with the Torch. I would expect that the newer phone would have retained the radio reception characteristics of its ancestor and then improved upon it. But instead I have a phone that drops calls instead of switching to the 2G signal. Very frustrating.

I hope that some future software revision might address this issue. Until then I regret the "upgrade" and wish I had my old phone (and the money I paid the carrier to switch) back.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

well for the Torch 9800, there are two "flavors". Each flavor is made for specific 3G band.
Maybe your device uses 3G bands that are not the same as the one used by Vodafone SFR.

Anyways, I'm here to give you solutions (even partial), I have no other idea, so you'll have to wait for another contributor to have an idea you could accept.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I, also just started having the same problem here in Ontario, Canada.

I have contacted Bell Mobility, and they had me replace my SIM card and do a complete reset of my phone.

Didn't work!!  Now they tell me that my phone is no good and I should buy a new one!!!

What the hell is that!!!  My Torch is only 1 1/2 yrs old! Come on now!  BlackBerry makes better phones than that!

I think it is Bell Mobility that is slow on the upgrades! 

My software version is: v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246

: v6.0 Bundle 3049

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Hi CementBrain,

I ultimately just learned to live with it. Until last Sunday. Then after 13 months of ownership the phone died. I went to bed and it was working fine. Woke up and it wouldn't power up. Tried a new battery. Took it to the dealer. No solution. So i went back to the Storm that I had kept from before. 

In August our corporate tech guys at head office decided to allow us to use whichever type of phone we wanted. So I picked up a new iPhone 5. The worst part is the deferred balance of $300+ that I have to pay for a device that failed just one month after the first year. If you are going to be on a 3 year plan you would hope the phone could last the length of the term.

Good luck!

Mike