Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Swisscom
Accepted Solution

BB 9900 Update not completing...

Dear all,

I have been asked to up-date my BB Bold 9900. Hence, I have connected my BB to my lap-top. Three out of four steps have been completed (1. save data, 2. install software, 3. restart, 4. re-install data). Now, the last step (re-install data) seems blocked. It reads: Database BBGroups (1 out of 8 elements). This is now stable for more than an hour...

Does anyone know what to do? Shall I cut the link between BB and the lap-top and try again or do I lose my data if I do so?

Many thanks!

Kind regads,

Benjamin

New Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB 9900 Update not completing...

Exactly the same here with another 30 BB Bold 9900. The update process stops in the last part and doesn't continue. Disconnecting after hours leads to a dead BB!!! The new update did work on just one BB yesterday. All other BB that have been updated today are totally out of order. Surprisingly ther was a desktop-software update yesterday and a new one today. It has been several laptops and desktops doing the updates ... Looks a little like they have fired an important programmer at BB! Crazy!

@Blackberry customer service: looks like you guys have a real issue with the update. You'd better fix it fast and tell us what to do or you might loose your last customers! Looks like you guys do suicide!

Thanks! But does not sound good at all... incredible!

Strange end to this story: Finally, I cutted the line between device and laptop and... the BB still worked and all data seem still there! Hmmm...

New Contributor

Honestly, nothing works well here! BB screen is white after reboot and says App Error 200 - Reset. That's it.

New Contributor

Friday today and nothing ever happens at RIM! No answer, no reaction, so support at all. Well, this is not the way to run a business! With this experience we are going to change our smartphone manufacturer.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

donmarkuso wrote:

Friday today and nothing ever happens at RIM! No answer, no reaction, so support at all. Well, this is not the way to run a business! With this experience we are going to change our smartphone manufacturer.

I fear you do not understand some things...please see this "sticky" post, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you. This error has been discussed by other users many times, and there are therefore lots of threads available for you to search and find helpful information.

Nevertheless, here also are some recommendations that may help your situation.

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Honestly, none of your procedures did help at all and I lost hours trying to fix your faults!

Vodafone Germany's business support already knows about this tremendous update error and offered to replace all broken Blackberrys for free! That's what I'll do now!

My next step will be to replace all Blackberrys with products of another manufacturer who really acts helpful!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

donmarkuso wrote:

Honestly, none of your procedures did help at all and I lost hours trying to fix your faults!

My faults? What faults did I create please? The procedures I provided can work...but of course there are no guarantees, especially at an internet distance where we have only your words to guide us to understanding your situation.

Then again...I fear you did not bother to actually read all that I provided you above...from your words ("your faults"), it seems clear that you still are under the incorrect assumption that, by posting here in this forum, that you are chatting with formal BlackBerry representatives and employees. Had you actually bothered to read what I provided to you, you would know that to be incorrect, and that you are actually chatting with other users who kindly volunteer their own personal time to try and help out other users like you.

I'm glad you finally decided to seek formal support, and that they have provided a path to resolution. Further, perhaps it is indeed best for you to abandon BlackBerry and instead seek out a far less secure solution. BlackBerry devices are very complex, and require the user to be very careful -- and to actually read the information provided to them so as to achieve useful success.

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

"Official BlackBerry Support Community Forums" is not a professional BlackBerry support site? I thought I'm talking to RIM's support employees! Sick!