Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: O2

BB Bold 9000 sync more than 5000 contacts with special characters

we`ve got a problem by synchronizing the BB Bold 9000 with more than 5000 contacts via Microsoft Outlook / Exchange 2003 and the Blackberry Device Manager. A lot of the contacts have special characters like () in company field. So, while synchronizing the device manager terminated with a error code: 0x80040fb3.

In the support center the issue is documented by:

KB17342 and KB14818

We`ve already tried to fix the problem by deleting the databases on the device and resetting. But it doesn´t work. I think it´s worth to say that we can not change all contacts that contain one or more special character like ()#$@!%-,^".

Is there another solution for that problem?

The software version on the device is (Plattform BB Device Manager Version 5 on Microsoft Windows 7 Pro with Microsoft Office 2007 (Outlook). All contacts and calender items are stored on a Microsoft Exchange 2003.

Thanks for your answers,

My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB Bold 9000 sync more than 5000 contacts with special characters

Hello Darkbert,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Is this your first sync? Has this BlackBerry smartphone synchronized with these contacts before? You can try un mapping the company field in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager if it is the field that is causing the issues.

To do this, please open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and click on synchronization button. Now click on configure synchronization on the left hand side and plug in the BlackBerry smartphone. Now click on synchronization on the right hand side of the screen to open the configuration window. Highlight the Address Book and click on the Advanced button, now click on the map fields and unclick the arrow between company in the list. Click ok and ok again and try synchronizing the BlackBerry smartphone again.

You can also try to enable the advanced logging feature to see which contact is causing the synchronization to fail. Here is a knowledge base article on how to enable advanced logging for synchronization.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB01451

In the logs you want to look at the tif.log file and scroll all the way to the bottom and look for the name of the contact that is causing the crash it will be the very last entry in the log file.

Thank you

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!