Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: ATT

BB Bold 9700

My 2 year old BB Bold 9700 is constantly rebooting, even if the unit is totally shut off. After rebooting it always asks me for the password. The only way to shut off the unit is to take the battery out. Also, how can I disable the request for the password? Can anyone help. How can the unit be reset to factory standard?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Bold 9700

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Juergenhl wrote:

Also, how can I disable the request for the password?

If the password being requested is the device lock password, see this:

• KB00588 Password security for the BlackBerry smartphone

That password us user-created, and totally under user control (unless you are on BES, in which case there might be some control from the server to force the existence of this password). To remove it, you simply do so...follow the steps in the KB.

Now, if that password is something else, please be explicit about exactly what the screen says when it prompts you for the password.

Juergenhl wrote:

My 2 year old BB Bold 9700 is constantly rebooting, even if the unit is totally shut off.

Well, that is indicative of deeper problems...I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Juergenhl wrote:

The only way to shut off the unit is to take the battery out.

That's actually normal BB behavior...there really is no totally "off" condition. You can shut down various services, but the BB pretty much is running all the time.

Juergenhl wrote:

How can the unit be reset to factory standard?

I'm not sure that's actually the right prognosis for your BB...let's await the outcome of your Safe Mode tests first.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you for trying to help me find a solution to my problems with my BB Bold 9700. I followed your suggestion, but it did not solve my problem. I will delineate the problem step by step in detail:

* I insert the battery into the unit

* after about one minute the red LED light comes on for about two minutes

* after the red LED light goes out the unit starts rebooting

* after rebooting is completed worldphone screen comes on and asks for my code (4 digit code from the provider. It is a

prepaid chip which can be reloaded)

* code is accepted and geen LED comes on and unit asks for password

* after password acceptance unit is fully workable as long as I keep working the unit

* if unit is idle for about 30 seconds screen gets dark and green light goes out.

* after about 5 minutes red LED lights comes on and the whole procedere, i.e. rebooting, asking for code, password

repeats itself over and over again. It can only be stopped by taking out the battery.

* Can only make or receive phone calls while green LED light is blinking. This means I would have to keep the unit

constantly working to avoid the screen going dark and the red LED light goes on. Then the process of rebooting and

code/password cannot be interrupted.

Any help you can offer?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Thanks for the details...that helps a great deal. What I recommend is the Safe Mode boot above. Given your circumstances, you may indeed have a great deal of trouble getting it to actually go into Safe Mode, but that's the only way to rule in/out 3rd party app interference. Safe Mode will prevent 3rd party apps from auto-running, and that could indicate if one of them is a problem.

Then again...you can actually run just fine as long as you follow your careful sequence. So, I refer back to the Safe Mode instructions...but the paragraph after the link...anything newly installed since this behavior started? If so, try removing it.

If neither of those provides a solution, then indeed you likely will want to conduct a clean OS reload...

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you for your continued help. I advanced as far as getting the unit into safe mode. Unfortunately, nothing changed and the next time screen went black, then red LED light then rebooting and and sceen coming on asking for code and password the safe mode was gone.

Reverting to downloading/resetting the unit, admittedly, I am very poor in reading/understanding the instructions and all this seems very complicated for me. Is there not a store or enterprise in the zip 33908 area where they could fix the problem? ATT has been a very poor experience for me as they told me, firstly, the unit is more than a year old and out of warranty and, secondly, wouldn't I know RIM is going out of business (obviously they wanted to sell me something else).

Looks like I am stuck.

Hall of Famer III

Yes, I agree...since the behavior continued in Safe Mode, your next step is reloading your OS.

I've no guidance to give about reputable shops nearby you that could help you...

Lastly, where on earth do you get the idea that RIM is going out of business? From all that I know and understand, that is completely false.

I'm willing to help you with the process, but you will need to actually start and then ask specific questions...from "all this seems very complicated for me", I can provide nothing helpful. You would actually have to start the process and ask questions about the steps on which you get stuck...

Contributor

I hasten to clarify a possible misunderstanding. It was not me, but the ATT representative to tell me that my unit was out of warranty (which I knew myself) and that RIM is going out of business. I hated him for this, because I am a loyal BlackBerry user since 2005 and had 5 different units since. There is no better product for business than BB - at least up to now.

Hall of Famer III

That ATT person you spoke to is both misinformed as well as slanderous...I believe you should report them to their management.