Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: ATT

BB Bold 9900 Server Support

Within the last 30 days my IT department upgraded (?) our email server and software. The software is Microsoft Exchange 2013 that the IT folks tell me does not support my BB Bold 9900 - the only one of two BB devices left in our company at the present time. They do indicate that the Exchange software will support BB 10 because that device will offer ActiveSync. (I may not have all of these terms exactly correct - I am not a IT person. - My apologies.)

So - I am sitting, waiting for a BB 10 with QWERTY while using a Samsung phone that is not anywhere near the quality of my Bold. It occurs to me: are the IT folks taking the easy way out? Is there a work-around out there? I can see MS 'making war' on BB by not supporting a generation of phones by making a software change, but this is crazy. If our firm had installed Exchange 2010, I am told I would not have this problem.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Bold 9900 Server Support

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Honestly, I think your suspicion may be correct. BBs (both before and with BB10) can interface with nearly all internet-facing email systems. There are some exceptions, but in general they all work.

It may be that they also changed the internet-facing system to an OWA installation that is not compatible with BIS, but those are pretty rare. They also may have removed BES entirely, which then would require the use of BIS to integrate to the BB. But, from the details, all of this is just guessing.

The version of your internal Exchange system is actually not relevant. Rather, the version of BES matters, if such exists. Further, if non-BES, then the version of whatever they face to the internet (e.g., POP, IMAP, OWA) may matter. But the core internal Exchange environment isn't really relevant.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: BlackBerry Bold 9900

Hi,

Recently we are running MS Exchange 2013 environment in our corporate office and I have using BlackBerry Bold 9900. So, the MS Exchange 2013 will support my BlackBerry Bold 9900. Please help.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

mohamrahman wrote:

Hi,

Recently we are running MS Exchange 2013 environment in our corporate office and I have using BlackBerry Bold 9900. So, the MS Exchange 2013 will support my BlackBerry Bold 9900. Please help.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As is stated above, the version of your internally-facing Exchange is not relevant. What is relevant is what faces the internet. But, you have not stated what that is, so we can't guess...I'd suggest you talk to your internal email admins to find out what they face to the internet so that you can determine if you can or cannot integrate your BB with it, and also what services you should expect if you can.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: BlackBerry Bold 9900

HI!

Thanks for your prompt reply. My query is that, is it possible to configure outlook in my BB Bold 9900 smartphone if our corporate office using MS Exchange 2013?

Thanks.

Hall of Famer III

Again, again, and again...by itself, as you keep writing, "MS Exchange 2013" is not relevant information. Exchange systems should NEVER directly face the internet. Rather, they should be configured to use other gateways (e.g., POP, IMAP, BES, OWA, etc.) which face the internet, and those gateways will be whatever they are, at whatever version they are. And it is with those gateways that mobile devices would interface...mobile devices should never directly interface with the Exchange Server itself.

As you have stated your question (yet again) without any new information, I cannot give you any new answer. The answer to your question, as it is written, is NO. But, your question, as written, does not make logical sense since Exchange itself should never directly face the internet.

So I continue to recommend that you talk to your internal IT people and find out exactly what faces the internet for use by your BB. The answer to that question will determine your course of action.

Good luck.