Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9780 bold and playbook 32gb
My Carrier: o2 uk

Re: BB Bold 9900 terrible battery life - hardware or software?

What new Os was it?
New Developer
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm beginning to think that 8 hrs for this phone is normal. RIM probably doesn't even see it as a problem.
So the only real solution would be to get a bigger battery which might prove difficult with the NFC chip in the cover of the battery compartment .
This is really disappointing.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: bell mobility

I installed the Bell Mobility version of OS7 so nothing really different.

slava888, did someon from RIM tell you 8 hours is normal?  There is no way that 8 hours is normal for a Blackberry unless you are talking on it for 90% of that time or surfing multimedia websites, streaming video.  I was told that I should be getting considerably more than that.

New Developer
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

No, RIM didn't bother responding to my inquiries about this issue (two emails and one phone call). Hence my conclusion.
All i do on my phone is Email/BBM/Browsing/Phone. I do not have Facebook, Tweeter or Social Feeds installed on my device and i never stream audio or video.
On my 9700 and 9780 i literally got 2.5 times longer battery life than on my 9900 with identical usage. 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: bell mobility

You must be pass through Rogers before RIM can help you.  Rogers has first and second-level support.  But you have to ask  to be put through to RIM.  Some providers will do it, some won't.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: M1

I think this new bb bold has beautiful graphics thus drains battery faster. I too expected bb to come up with a better battery but oh wells... Here are some tips to conserve on battery life: 1) adjust screen brightness to 20 or 30 - I realise these r still decent brightness levels but saves on battery 2) switch off wifi if not using it 3) setting it to ringing mode is more savvy on power than vibrating. If it is silent even better! 4) turn Facebook news feeds to "never" check news feeds. 5) close programs entirely so that they will not run in the background - open the menu whle in the program and press "close" 6) Click the standby button on top when not in use 7) my friend says he conserves battery by using 2G instead of 3G Hope these suggestions helps!
Contributor
My Carrier: M1

I thought the initial charge has to be 8hrs minimum? Hope u can get a battery replacement.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: BB 9900
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Just a quick upate on my initial predicament ...

Recently purchased another new battery (second purchase) - which makes it three batteries in total.

This newest battery is made in Korea/China and after a few charge/discharge cycles (battery charged while in phone using a normal BB travel charger, not that supplied USB-plug gimmick "thing") and I'm happy to report that this new battery is vastly outperforming the battery originally received with the phone from Rogers (battery made in Japan/Mexico).

After 3 full charge/discharge cycles of this newest battery, it lasts me well over 24 total hours running time (4-5 hours of heavy usage during the day, the rest moderate to light usage or idle). This running time doesn't include time when phone goes into auto-shutoff. So as an example if I charge the battery overnight (in the phone using proper charger), phone turns on at 7AM -- periods of heavy usage during the day -- some idle time -- more heavy usage -- then moderate-lite usage in evening, auto-shutoff at 11pm ... battery meter still shows 45-50%!  (the original Japan/Mexico battery would have to be charged at least 2x already in the same usage scenario)

So my experiences so far (all factors being similar/equal):

- original battery (packaged with phone) made in Japan/Mexico: complete and utter piece of junk! 8-10 total hours max, battery heats up to 47C during heavy usage (browser, phone calls, etc) - complete DUD! It acts like there's only half the mAh on that battery.

- 2nd battery: purchased online (made in Korea/China): very good performer - with 4 charge/discharge cycles and still getting better, but runs slightly warm (37C) during heavy usage but 22-24 total usage hours.

- 3rd battery: purchased online (also made in Korea/China): EXCELLENT performer - with 3 full charge/discharge cycles only gets to 34C during heavy use - lasts well over 24 total usage hours.

My settings/apps:

- using OS v.7.0.0.296 (Vodafone DE) ---- Rogers v.7.0.0.261 wiped clean (very buggy OS)

- uninstalled (or never installed): Social feeds, Facebook, YouTube, Google Talk

- apps: BBNews, GoogleMaps 4.53, BBMaps, Twitter (set to manual refresh, never sign out), BatteryMeter, Globe Politics, Thompson Reuters News Pro, XE Currency, Bloomberg Mobile, QuickLaunch, BeBuzz, iLockerLite

- Network connection set to "manual, 3G/H+", backlighting 10% (no need for more), auto-dim 20s, no apps running in background except for Twitter which is set to manual refresh, store the phone in the sleeve or holster while idle and overnight (conserves battery power) --- therefore all precautions made to conserve battery energy and prolong battery life.

As noted both Korea/China batteries perform equally well, lasting well over 24 total hours of mixed usage: heavy, moderate, lite and idle time. Phone automatically turns on at 7am, shuts off at 11pm and by then batterymeter still shows 45-50% left.

Right. So moral of the story (at least in my case) - the original battery (Japan/Mexico) was & is a piece of garbage! Rogers will not exchange the battery and RIM... well, let's just forget about RIM, shall we?

Thus for those that experience "terrible" battery life, see if purchasing a new one helps any.

Discharge the battery (use the new battery until the radio turns off), then fully recharge (4-5 hours sufficient) and repeat the cycle three times. Let the phone software calibrate itself to the battery. After the second or third full charge cycle, you will see if you have a good or bad battery.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

Thanks Hobnob, been looking for a post like this to guide me. Just about ready to buy a new battery for my 9900 to see if it fixes the problem and I will follow your advice many thanks for this!!!!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9780 bold and playbook 32gb
My Carrier: o2 uk

I have gone back 2 9780