Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB 9900
My Carrier: Bell

BB Bold 9900 terrible battery life - hardware or software?

Hi all,

Received my Bold 9900 last week and find the phone to be a very nice, solidly-built unit, but I'm rather perplexed with regards to battery life.

I initially charged the phone for 6 hours to fully charge the battery.

I've yet to have the battery last over 6 hours with moderate use - all power-saving features put to full use, signing off online chats/social media, fully exiting social feeds/BBnews. Moderate use includes some browsing, emailing (~40/day), texting, BBM (20-30msgs), -82dBm signal strength...

Example: Phone is fully charged (overnight), 8am, go to work, receive a few calls, text and e-mail a few people ... by noon the battery indicates 45%!!! This can't be normal!

In various forums I read how people achieve over 1-1/2 days of battery life with moderate use - same firmware, same network.

Did I get a bum battery or is there a batch of phones with some issues?? Is this somehow related to firmware (Rogers 7.0.0.261)?

Aside from the great aspects and features of this phone, I'm really quite disappointed with the battery life of this model!

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Re: BB Bold 9900 terrible battery life - hardware or software?

Just got this phone a few days ago, I have also noticed the quick drop in battery life. For me, I charge it when i sleep, so when i wake up its full. I went to work this morning at 9 during the day, i bbmed, txted, checked out app world, and when i got home, i was playing around with it a bit. (brand new toy, playing around is to be expected). It is 4:04 and my battery is already at 70%. This morning while i got ready for work i txted a few people and checked facebook, and i had already noticed it was done a bit. Yours sounds much worse then mine, I would go into your carrier or call them and tell them. Maybe you can get a battery out of them! 

Regular Contributor

Don't want to make it sound overly drastic, but ... when I mentioned few texts, BBMs and emails, I mean 20-30 of each (give or take), talk time around 30mins total. A battery draining down by ~50%+ in 4 hours with moderate usage doesn't bode well at all!! This particular model seems to perform as well as an Android in the battery department.

One can't expect a 1230mAh battery to last for weeks, but by Blackberry standards, the battery performance is underwhelming and quite frankly, very disappointing! If one is away from the office and cannot charge the phone it's just tough luck - unless carrying multiple batteries is an option (but those aren't available for purchase anywhere - go figure).

No such problems with same type of usage on previous Blackberries (9700 definitely outlasts this 9900 by a mile).

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: BSNL

I too have a brand new 9900, and have the same problem. Terrible battery life, with moderate to heavy use. Quite obviously RIM has goofed up in putting up a 1230 mAh battery inside a smarphone running on a 1.2 gHz processer when the half-as-slow 9780 sported a 1450 mAh battery. This was presumably done to save on cost.

Now the only solution is if RIM offers 9900 users a high performing battery under an exchange program at a nominal charge or outright sale to those who are willing to spend extra on a battery with a longer life.

What cannot be forgiven is RIM's utter foolishness in the choice of battery.

Regular Contributor

The more I research this "issue" the more I find that others are facing short battery life on their mobiles. It's gratifying in a sense, but rather infuriating as well. You make a good point about expectations relating to smaller capacity batteries!

It certainly would be nice to have a larger capacity battery produced, but I'm afraid RIM will not concede on this.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: BSNL

I don't see any reason why RIM should not deliver on a more powerful battery if 9900 users are ready to pay fo it. That, of course, would be admitting they've committed a blunder, something they'd be loathe to do.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9780 bold and playbook 32gb
My Carrier: o2 uk

i love the phone but i miss my 9700 which battery lasts days. Why put a small battery in a powerfull phone its like a big dude with a small heart #nothappy and feel let down by bb
Trusted Contributor

I am thinking its Os problems Os5 battery life was very good on my 9700 and 8900 Os6 on the 9780-9800 was worst and Os7 isn't any better???
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

hi folks

i have just experienced my new BB bold 9900 going dead on me after 24hrs. never happened with my nokia so hadnt experienced this before. in fact i panicked and sent an email to vodafone they had sold me a duff phone.

i checked out some of the earlier issues with phones going dead going back to 2009/2010 and it turns out BB are still having the same issues as then. The Wi-Fi stays on unless you switch it off. if you use bluetooth, that will stay on all the time as wel,l even if you have switched off the phone at work as i have to do.

it continues to drain the battery and the next time you use it the phone is dead.

i have now charged up the battery and it is ok. just remember to keep the Wi-Fi and bluetooth switched off when you are not using them.

Then again, it may be good idea to get the more powerful battery.

cheshirelad

Trusted Contributor

I am testing it 2day waiting 4 it 2 die 2 see how much I get out of it I took it off charge this morning its on last than half