Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9790
My Carrier: VODAFONE
Accepted Solution

BB Bold Browser "Communication failure has occurred"

BB Bold 9790 Software version 7.1 Bundle 2494

wi-fi connection

all other BB Users (version 6) connected to this wifi LAN do not have this problem

Can bring up Google but will not load any link thereafter

returns communication failure server may be busy etc

Anyone got a fix please

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Bold Browser "Communication failure has occurred"

Hello!

Here are KBs that discuss that error:

• KB13818 "A communication failure occurred with the selected Mobile Data Service. The server may be busy. Please try again later" appears when browsing with BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB28840 "A communication failure occured with the selected Mobile Data service. the server may be busy. Please try again later. If the problem persists contact your administrator." appears when browsing internal or external web sites on the BlackBerry smartphone

Hopefully they contain something useful! 

If this is BES and you are not the BES admin, then please seek support from your BES admin.

If this is BES and you are the BES admin, please state so and we'll have this thread moved to the proper location for other BES admins to provide you with assistance.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks, however I do not subscribe to BES.  I am a BIS user.

I can open Google and perform a search in the browser but get the "Communication failure has occurred" message if any link in the search return is selected on all ocassions.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you!

If not, then...

ACROBAT_ONE wrote:

Thanks, however I do not subscribe to BES.  I am a BIS user. 

Any chance that this BB could once have been associated to BES, and not properly cleansed? You can check via this:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy, you must perform this to remove it:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Of course, you will want to backup before you do so. When you restore you also must NOT do a full restore...rather, just a selective restore of only those databases you need (e.g., contacts, calendar, etc.), especially bypassing any that have to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, etc. If you do a full restore, you'll put the IT Policy back onto your BB, and be right back where you started.

If none of the above works, then I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior continues, then consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, "Bare Bones" reload diagnostic process, etc.

Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Reset to Factory Settings. No restore from Back Up and I still have the same "Communications Failure " message.

Hall of Famer III

OK...then please, still before you restore, conduct the 3 steps (Register HRT, Resend Service Books, Reboot) and see if that clears it up.

You also still have Safe Mode to try, as well as contacting your mobile service provider for formal support.

Contributor

have completed all of these three steps - other than Safe Mode and/or contacting vodafone and tellimg them to cancel my contract,

Hall of Famer III

OK...well, what I last asked was for you to do something in a different order than what I earlier stated...if you did that and it didn't help, then Safe Mode is the last "self diagnostic" that I can think of for you.

Of course, I've not recommended cancelling your contract...until you allow them to have a chance to look "behind the scenes" at their systems and perhaps see something that is impossible for me to see, I think that cancelling is a bit premature...but you of course will do whatever you desire to do.

Good luck!

Contributor

ok _ after having tested the browser have established that it is possible to select and open a web page from a link off a google search provided it is opened in a new tab.  selection of the same link from the google search results in the "communication failure has occurred" when broswer attempts to open link on same page as google search page.

What settings do I have to amend to rectify please??

Hall of Famer III

I've no idea...as I stated earlier, the KBs I linked for you were all that I could find on the subject...have you searched for others to see if you have better luck than I did?

I also still don't see that you've yet tried SAFE Mode...

You might want to consider even more drastic remedy attempts -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, "Bare Bones" OS Reload Diagnostic Procedure, etc.

Good luck and let us know!