Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BB Bold emergency call only (not locked)

I received my Blackberry Bold about a week ago and put the SIM-card in and it didnt even prompt me for the PIN-code, just established "emergency call only" connection. I had a new SIM-card sent out to me, same problem. The strange thing is that a friend of mine uses the same carrier (Tele2 Comviq) in Sweden and I can use his (older) SIM-card for both 2G and 3G connection. It does ask for PIN-code on startup.

The support at Tele2 Comviq has no idea what do do. Any suggestions?

Greatfull for any help.

Solutions: 6,398
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB Bold emergency call only (not locked)

If you have tried different SIM cards, it very well could be you received a faulty device. Exchange it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Well, I find it strange though, that if the device is faulty who does one SIM-card from the same carrier work and not the other?
Solutions: 6,398
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You know, before anything else, I would even try yet another SIM card. I know you have already done that, but, it would be the simplest thing to test again.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I have the exact same problem. I tried another Tele2 SIM (older than mine) and that did work so the device is not locked or faulty.

The only difference between the the cards is that the one I'm trying to use has a slightly smaller connector/chip, it is rectangular rather than square.

Let me know if you find the problem, no luck for me so far.

New Contributor

I finally got my Tele2/Comviq SIM to work on my Bold. I figured since it doesn't prompt for the PIN code or communicate with the SIM in any way for that matter, the PIN security verification itself is the culprit.

I disabled the PIN code protection on my SIM using an older phone on which the SIM works and put it back in the Bold, and eureka!

Good luck