Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB Bold new Firmware, Is it necessary?

Hello Fellow BB users, I just got my first BB and its a Bold. I am just wondering if its necessary to get the latest firmware. This is my first smartphone, i am really scared to start messing around with the programs let alone its firmware. Is there a link where i can useful updates like Desktop manager?

Thank you

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: BB Bold new Firmware, Is it necessary?

Yes. I am on the latest v4.6.0.154 and rumors are another release will come out next week.  There several issues with the current version (e.g.) when in a 3G coverage area, the device will drop into EDGE network and then drop the network completely.....also many reports of dropped calls.....then start up again to GSM to EDGE and then to 3G.......since this is RIM's frist attemp at a 3G device, yes, stay current.  Using (required) Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.6 with this device allows a complete backup and restore of settings and configurations that you have prior.  Hope this helps, it's painless to upgrade modules on device.

New Contributor

Thank you so much. Smiley Happy
My Device: Bold 9000

Where can i get the latest v4.6.0.154 software version? i am on 4.6.1.147 and would like to get the latest.
Contributor

JUST A HEADS UP -- If you are on a Mac, you can't do any firmware upgrades, you can only do this from a PC.