Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: sasktel

BB Bold9900

I pick ed up a bold 9900 3 years ago and thinking I will get another one. Is there any significant changes to

todays BB bold 9900 compared to my 3 year old bold 9900?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB Bold9900

Other than software upgrades (none of which I believe are significant), there's no appreciable change. Same no-focus camera, same atrocious battery life, etc. If you have the means, I highly recommend the Q10 or Q5 if you like physical keyboards.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile-US (for 9900)

Re: BB Bold9900

[ Edited ]

I'm a long-time user of BlackBerrys...and got a Q10 just to see how it compared to the Bold 9900.

The Q10 does not have a trackpad !!!

It doesn't have 'Categories' for contacts...I have 5800 contacts, and don't want to do without the 'Contact' field.

Since I use a 5-point font on my 9900, I find the touch-screen cut-and-paste and corrections really impossible to use; changing to 10-point or 12-point works better, but still not as good as the trackpad.

There are 'leaked' upgrades -  a downloadable Windows execute file that has been compressed with 7x (can get a free expander). That improves the touch-screen cut-and-paste and corrections a bit - still not up to the trackpad. The leaks are available at CrackBerry  and

But some folks do like like Q10, and have said so.

Suggest that you read the BlackBerry Support Community Forum thread, “Why I’m giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900” ...it gives some comments...95 pages of them at last count.

I use my 9900 (and just have the Q10 to get familiar with it).

Picked up a used Bold 9900 as a backup...made sure that it had been branded by my cellular carrier (BBOS devices have a 'Vendor ID' that limits the software load that you can easily download.).

Kind regards