Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

BB Curve 8310 Not sure how to upgrade handheld OS/Which Desktop Software?, questions

I am a new smartphone user, this is my first.

The OS version I have on my phone now is V4.5.0

Should I upgrade to V4.50.306?  (I have AT&T as my carrier and that is the most current upgrade available.)

What happens when I do the upgrade?

Will I loose any programs on my phone, like Documents To Go, Facebook, Email Accounts I've already set up, or information in my address book?

Which Desktop software should I download? (I have AT&T as my carrier and they list these as the available versions) (I have Windows Vista on my laptop.)

V6.0.1

V5.0.0 Service Pack 1 (5.0.1)

V4.7

V4.5

Also, how do I run Outlook from my BB and sync to my desktop?  Does this use data to do this?  Am I better off to use the calendar already provided on my phone?  Or are their other options?  I want to be able to sync a calendar on my laptop to my BB (sort of like I do now with my Palm Zire and my laptop.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB Curve 8310 Not sure how to upgrade handheld OS/Which Desktop Software?, questions

Ok, that is a lot of questions for one post, but let me take a shot at it.

First download/install desktop software 6.0.1, its the newest, its backwards compatable with all devices and its pretty easy to use.

When you plug your device in, desktop software will let you know if an update is available (only through your carrier though). When you update through desktop software it should preserve all your data.

As for syncing to outlook, you can set up desktop software to syncronize between your BlackBerry and a program on your computer (such as outlook) via your USB cable (not data). It can syncronize 4 things: Address book (aka contacts), Calendar, Tasks (aka to-do list), and memo pad.

I think I answered everything.

Any other quesitons?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BB Curve 8310 Not sure how to upgrade handheld OS/Which Desktop Software?, questions

I think you're going to be sorry you asked if I had anymore questions,  Lol!

I have Outlook 97, and it's not set up at all.  I need to be able to figure out how to set it up and then what I need to do to be able to use it on my BB.  It doesn't bother me that I have to use a USB cable to sync with my desktop, so that's not a problem.  Any chance you can guide me as to how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

It requires Outlook 2003/2007/2010 to sync so 97 is no good.

Setting up your BB to recieve your emails is a totally different process.