Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BB Curve (8310) not taking firmware upgrade to 4.5

[ Edited ]

In order to upgrade my 8310 from v4.2.2.170 to v4.5 I went to the following:

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/08/how-to-upgrade-your-blackberry-software/5/

Following the steps, I downloaded and ran the software update for firmware 4.5 via: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

I already had desktop manager v4.6 installed, so I ran that.  No luck.

I restarted to see if that would help.  No luck.

Then dl'd desktop manager v4.5 just in case 4.6 had an issue.  No luck

Restarted my PC a couple times.  No luck.  

In both instances, when I launch desktop manager, it runs the update checking service and does nothing.  When I click the icon for updating applications, it does not find anything that needs/can be updated.

Any suggestions?

Only thing I can think of as a possible issue is that my phone is running: 

v4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30)

Do the firmware software versions need to have the same platform?

Also, I'm assuming I was NOT supposed to download the firmware directly onto my phone?  That I was supposed to dl it to my PC and let Desktop Manager be the conduit between the two?  

Thanks!

Rob

Message Edited by bluesmafia01 on 09-03-2008 02:42 PM
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: BB Curve (8310) not taking firmware upgrade to 4.5

Check below steps for OS upgrade -

Step #1

Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the computer.

Step#2

Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3

Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  3. Double-click Backup and Restore.
  4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases.
  5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save.

Step#4

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Double-click the Application Loader icon.
  3. Click Next to start the installation process.
  4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK.
  5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next.
  6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process.
  9. Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly.
  10. Click Next > Finish.
  11. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Tanzim,

Thanks for the reply.

The site you linked to says that the latest version for 8310 on the ATT network is: v4.2.2.312.  Does this mean that the v4.5 that I dl'd is not compatible with ATT's network/hardware/???

Most importantly, does this mean I am forced to run an old OS without the new bells and whistles?  Or does ATT's v4.2.2.312 = v4.5?

If this is not the case and I should be able to dl and install firmware 4.5, then the issues I originally posted remain the same.  My problem is that your step 4 does not happen as you illustrate.  It does not launch an update, nor does it offer me a "next" to start the installation process.  All I see, after it checks, are the two "Add/Remove Applications" and "Update Applications".  

Thanks!

Rob

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

all 4.2.2 are the same for each carriers.
Your carrier will release the 4.5 version one day (a month max I guess ?).

Meanwhile, if you are really eager, you can download the 4.5 from another carrier like Vodaphone Germany, remove the vendor.xml file that is on your PC, and do the installation.
But it's for people who are aware of what they are doing. I won't ever do that for instance.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks!  I'll sit tight as I would fall into the "don't know what I'm doing" camp.

Rob

Contributor

Xandrex wrote:
Meanwhile, if you are really eager, you can download the 4.5 from another carrier like Vodaphone Germany, remove the vendor.xml file that is on your PC, and do the installation.
But it's for people who are aware of what they are doing. I won't ever do that for instance.
You carrier won't support you BB if it's running another carrier's OS but cross-loading OS's has not been a big deal in the number of years that I have had at least 6 different BB models.  In fact, my BB's rarely run my carrier's OS.  If you do run into a situation where you need support from your carrier you can always revert to your carrier's OS (and if the issue persists it's definitely not the other OS you had loaded). 

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

WOW!!! Smart approach for being familiar with the new releases.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Tanzim -  I followed the instructions you posted to update the blackberry curve 8310 OS from 4.2 to 4.5 but there are some buttons or options that are not there at the application loader.  such as; you said to click on next (step 3) but my app loader has no next and only shows two start buttons, one for he add/removal and another start for th update app within the loader program.  So needless to say without the next button being visible or present, my continuation of this process has stopped.  I currently have desktop manager version 4.6 installed on my PC running vista.  Do you know what the problem might be?  When I open my desktop manager with my BB connected, it does read the phone so it's not a matter of the device not be loaded or read by the PC.

Thanks!

what version of desktop manager are you running?
New Contributor

the newest version released which is 4.6.  I also reverted back to version 4.3 and same thing.