Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

BB Desktop Software has stopped working (V6.1.0)

[ Edited ]

My BlackBerry Desktop Software has stopped working.

My Devise: BB Torch 9800

Issus: When I connect my BB or double click on BB Desktop icon - it open the BB Desktop Software and closes instantly with an message "BB Desktop Software has stopped working. Windows is checking if a solution is available. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I have uninstalled and installed BB Desktop Software but still I get this message. I am unable to sync and use the desktop software.

I have called my carrier and they couldnt help me and mentioned it is a problem with my PC. But I dont think so as this was working all these days  and now suddenly I am getting this error. I dont remember but I might have updated the BB Desktop Sofware to 6.1.0 version.

Please help.

My Device: Curve 8310

Re: BB Desktop Software has stopped working (V6.1.0)

I had a similar problem with BlackBerry Desktop Software (BBDS) crashing.  I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and a BB Curve 8310 with Kingston MicroSD HC card, Class 4, 4 GB.

I fixed this for my 8310 by disabling the Micro SD card by setting Options -> Media Card -> Mass Storage Mode Support:  Off and then reconnecting the device via USB.  This allowed BBDS to complete the connection and move on to successfully synchronize and back up the device.

If you have a microSD card, you might try finding a similar option to disable mass storage media support or just remove the card, turn back on, and try reconnecting.

My Device: Blackberry 9900

I experienced the same issue with my 9900.

The way you "turn off" mass storage device mode in the 9900 is different from other models / BB OS's.

Go into "Options", select "Device", select "Storage", and DESELECT "Media Card Support".

By doing this, you will be able to perform a sync between your device and the Desktop Manager software -- although, you won't have access to your media card (i.e., pictures, videos) for this sync activity.  The purpose here is to at least sync with your calendar and contacts and applications.

I suspect that I will have to turn on Media Card Support to access the media card (i.e., for what's currently on the card and to add pics/videos to the card).  Further, when I want to pull the pics and videos from the card, I will likely have to use Windows Explorer with the device in "Mass Storage Mode" (i.e., with the Media Card Support" option "selected', as above).

This is a frustrating, but after weeks of the Desktop Manager stopping to work and not syncing -- I guess I'll have to live with this workaround until RIM creates a permanent fix. 

Best of luck...

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

I get the same thing on my Style 9670. For about a week now, my computer displays an error message that tells me BlackBerry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have been unable to sync media or back up data.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: ATT

I can't believe they released this puke!  Totally screwed me .... I'm supposed to be going to a meeting later today now I'm performing triague on this sync **bleep**.

RIM give us a fix or your going to see a longtime customers but running from RIM.

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

I've been trying workarounds but no luck so far.When will there be a fix or update for my Style 9670?
My Carrier: O2

I have this exact same problem too. Windows 7, 64 Bit, BB Bold 9700. Software worked fine for months, until it didn't.

Whether my BB is physically connected or not, launching the BB Desktop software thinks (splashscreen) for about 2 seconds and then windows closes the application as it has "stopped working".

Crazy problem. and a catasrophie for me. I'm 2 days over my handset upgrade as it is, and the new BB is looking less appealing if I can't flipping plug it into my computer.

I've tried re-installing all sorts of versions of BB Desktop, and the .net update/fixes I've seen here and there. Utter tosh Smiley Sad

Highlighted
My Carrier: O2

I may have fixed this...

I totally removed desktop software (again) and - for the record - removed ALL user settings (If I couldn't get this working I was gunna call in my upgrade to another brand anyway Smiley Wink )

I then re-installed BB Desktop - again for the record - from build 34, (610_b034_multilanguage.exe) which I happened to have in my download directory still (this might work with b038 though to be fair).

I then re-installed it, as I have done like 10 times, BUT this time, I changed the install directory to "c:\program files" instead of the default - on widnwos 7 64 bit - which is "c:\program files (x86)"

by putting it here, you get round some sticky windows issues, including UAC **bleep**. I than ran it, and low and behold it detected and synced and loved my Bold  9700 all over again!

Maybe I will get that BB 9900 (or torch 9810) after all Smiley Happy I can feel my new music flooding onto my memory card as I type