Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

BB Desktop Software will not launch

PC, running Windows XP  - Upgraded to new BB Desktop Software.  Was working for about a month.  Now, Will NOT launch - getting Windows Error

Error Signature:

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : rim.desktop.exe     P2 : 6.0.1.18     P3 : 4cfdab9c
P4 : microsoft.practices.composite     P5 : 2.0.1.0     P6 : 4cfdaa3a     
P7 : 12b     P8 : 50     P9 : sclhiaanmqhkf4zdfpvvwejkphnm1zuj 

I re-connected to BB and loaded the "fix" versus the fuill version and still cannot load.

From the Windows Control Panel - Removed the BB Desktop Software and re-booted the PC.  Re-Loaded the full Desktop Software from the BB website.  Still NOTHING - except for the Windows errror.

Dead in the water.  Cannot launch the BB Software to connect and synch BB Storm!  iPhone on Verizon is looking better and better.  Mid-February is NOT coming soon enough. 

Help! 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: BB Desktop Software will not launch

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I think you are hanving a problem with Roxio Creator 10 which is part of  the media manager function.

I have attached a Microsoft Knowledge base article for you to read.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Microsoft Support

Roxio Data Base

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Or just uninstall the version of Desktop Manager you have, and go back and install the version without the Roxio media software.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I

[ Edited ]

Hi,

What exact version of desktop manager are you currently running? I'm sure it's not 6.0

"you said you upgraded to the latest version." Please also indicate the model of your PC.

If  you do decide to reinstall v5,7 without media manager (Roxio Creator 10) you will have to

abandon 6.0 of desktop manager and return to v5.7.

Here are two procedures to help if you uninstall:

KB02206How to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Roxio data base remmove procedure for XP Ceator 9 and 10

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Oh, I installed the Desktop Software ver. 6 with none of the Roxio software.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Guru I

JSanders wrote:

Oh, I installed the Desktop Software ver. 6 with none of the Roxio software.

The Roxio files are in the PC / laptop especially Dell and Acer.

I think he is on a previous version than DM6.

Is that written more to your satisfaction JSanders?

Thanks,

Bifocals

hahahahahahaha, don't do it for my satisfaction, it's the original poster you're trying to help.

I was only stating that I had installed the BlackBerry Desktop Software with no instance of Roxio appearing after you post said he/she would "have to abandon 6.0 of desktop manager and return to v5.7." I didn't understand that.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

OK  Instead of dueling each other, the issue is my Problem.  If you want to 'duel', please take it off-line.

Re-stating my Problem:

1.  I had loaded BB DM6 on a Windows XP PC about 3 months ago with no problems.  In fact, it linked with all aspects of Outlook that I needed  (Calendar, Task and Contacts).  Yeah!!  This did not happen with the 'original' BB DM that I loaded January 2009 when I bought the BB Storm from Verizon, but I lived with this short coming of BB.  Built my calendar and contacts direcly into the BB Storm.

2.  OK.  So something happened last week and the BB DM6 will not launch without getting the error message that I put in my 1st Posting of this Problem.

3.  I went to BB and loaded the "Fix" for PC.  Also, this did not Launch BB DM6.

4.  Unloaded the BB DM6 with the Windows XP Control Panel "Remove Program".  Re-Booted the PC.  Then, went to BB and reloaded the BB DM6.  Same error message and no Launch.

5.  I am far from the "Techie" that the respondants to this Problem are!!  I am a SIMPLE End User of this BB Storm having mucho problems ... all of a sudden ... last week after using BB DM6 without the problems.

6.  What can a SIMPLE, non-techie End User do?  From the Respondants Postings .. I am reading about Loading Roxio for BB DM from the Roxio website?  Also, reading about that the Unload from the Windows XP Control Panel, Remove Programs, is incomplete for the removal of the BB DM6.  I am being directed to removing 'hidden' files/keys as directed in a BB Problem Solving Posting for the CLEAN Removal of BB DM6--- which is surely not written for the SIMPLE, non-techie End User!!

7.  In simple non-Techie language for this SIMPLE, non-techie End User ... what can I do to fix the problem and be able to launch BB DM6 from my Windows XP PC??

Guru I

[ Edited ]

WaynePharm wrote:

OK  Instead of dueling each other, the issue is my Problem.  If you want to 'duel', please take it off-line.

No one is "dueling" , we are tying to fix your problem.

Re-stating my Problem:

1.  I had loaded BB DM6 on a Windows XP PC about 3 months ago with no problems.  In fact, it linked with all aspects of Outlook that I needed  (Calendar, Task and Contacts).  Yeah!!  This did not happen with the 'original' BB DM that I loaded January 2009 when I bought the BB Storm from Verizon, but I lived with this short coming of BB.  Built my calendar and contacts directly into the BB Storm.

So the original installation of the desktop manager software loaded in January 2009 did not correctly function with Outlook.

2.  OK.  So something happened last week and the BB DM6 will not launch without getting the error message that I put in my 1st Posting of this Problem.

"So something happened". We can only go on your description of the problem. If you have no idea what happened  i couldn't possibly know.  The only "guess" would be an there was an auto update to existing software or you have added software.

3.  I went to BB and loaded the "Fix" for PC.  Also, this did not Launch BB DM6.

4.  Unloaded the BB DM6 with the Windows XP Control Panel "Remove Program".  Re-Booted the PC.  Then, went to BB and reloaded the BB DM6.  Same error message and no Launch.

Try using the repair/modify option in the Remove Program function on the DM installation currently loaded on the PC.

5.  I am far from the "Techie" that the respondants to this Problem are!!  I am a SIMPLE End User of this BB Storm having mucho problems ... all of a sudden ... last week after using BB DM6 without the problems.

6.  What can a SIMPLE, non-techie End User do?  From the Respondants Postings .. I am reading about Loading Roxio for BB DM from the Roxio website?  Also, reading about that the Unload from the Windows XP Control Panel, Remove Programs, is incomplete for the removal of the BB DM6.  I am being directed to removing 'hidden' files/keys as directed in a BB Problem Solving Posting for the CLEAN Removal of BB DM6--- which is surely not written for the SIMPLE, non-techie End User!!

The error indicates a problem with some Roxio software. If you were using DM with Media manager prior Roxio was a part of that software, or you are running Roxio software.The Roxio information I gave you was to remove Roxio drivers not load Roxio software.

In your description of the January 2009 install  there were problems with the install that were never correctly addressed. What we are suggesting is to remove all traces of the Various installation of desktop manager which includes editing the registry. That is why using Windows remove programs is not sufficient.

Once complete you will be installing a fresh copy of DM on your system, this will ensure that the DM software can correctly integrate wit both Windows and MS Outlook

The install procedure is SUGGESTED as the best resolution to your problem. Whether you run it or not is your decision.

7.  In simple non-Techie language for this SIMPLE, non-techie End User ... what can I do to fix the problem and be able to launch BB DM6 from my Windows XP PC??

This is as plain "non-techie" as I can write it.

Thanks,

Bifocals

New Contributor

Bifocals ...

In #4 you state:

"Try using the repair/modify option in the Remove Program function on the DM installation currently loaded on the PC."

I am not at my PC right now, but where is this option?  On the DM itself?  On the Windows XP Control Panel?  Can it be reached if I can not launch the BB DM6?

Thanks.