Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: o2

Re: BB ID problem when changing sim card on bold 9900

Hello iperks2,

Thank you for your answer! Smiley Happy

OK, so any SIM card I want to use my BB with must have a data plan, otherwise no BIS, understood. This kind of annoys me because as far as I know the "Blackberry-Services option" I pay for is charge by RIM and NOT by the service provider. At least that's what I was told. So, I should only have to pay once for one device...

Anyway, here is another scenario I'd like to share with everyone:

I have some friends who have registered and use their BB with a provider in South America, yet when they come to Europe, even though they are not able to use the cellular network (due to SIM-lock, etc.), they can fully use BIS over WiFi. Yes, they keep their regular SIM card in all the time, i.e. no foreign SIM card used. So, no voice/data services over GSM/3G, but full BIS (push-Email, BBM, etc) over WiFi when abroad... makes me think that the HRT entries are kept as long as you keep your data-capable SIM card in, even after the BB is switched off and then switched back on in a "foreign" area... does this sound familiar to you guys? Note: none of my friends have O/S7 on their BB, but O/S6 instead. So I don't know if that would change things here...

In the end, I just wanna be able to use BIS over WiFi while abroad; I don't want to pay for BIS and a data plan on a second card... for voice services I'll just use the second (local) SIM with my old Nokia Smiley Wink

Have a nice day! Smiley Wink

Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Singtel

You must have a BIS (or any BB service) SUBSCRIBED to that particular SIM card to be able to access BB services.

A mobile internet enabled SIM card without BB service subscribed would not work even if you insert in a BB phone.

About your friends BB over wifi, yes it works that way. IN countries where there are no pre-paid (short term) Blackberry service, i will usually keep my home country SIM card in the phone and use Wifi to access BB services.

You'd be surprised that the internet is routed through your home country's servers, hence i was able to access YouTube, Facebook, etc in China.

One thing to note while in the foreign country  is you DO NOT take out the home SIM card to switch to another without a BB subscription, you will lose your HRT and you need to go back to your home country first before getting it back (switching back to your home SIM after inserting a foreign SIM in the foreign country will erase all HRT) .

This my experience for an OS7 device, not sure if same applies to OS6 and earlier.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: o2

So, no official feedback from RIM regarding this issue, is there? That only means one thing to me, they did this on purpose... According to my carrier, the BB-Option (which btw must be booked for at least 24 months) is charged by RIM directly and not by them. I then just don't think it is fair that I have to pay RIM again (and for at least 24 months) if I want to use my BB with another provider... Smiley Mad It is ridiculous that at some point I cannot even login to my BB (Torch 9810) ...no wonder RIM is progressively going down the pipe, following Nokia steps!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

I have been defending BB for a very long time as the best smart phone, better than iPhone, far better than Android, but suddenly having to wipe my BB when I travel overseas, that's just ridiculous! That's it! Goodbye BB! Enough is enough!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Idea

I got a solution for this problem,

First thing you have to be in the Wifi range.

First activate the wifi, then remove the first Sim card, then when you insert a new sim card and the device will restart and ask you to enter the Blackberry ID password then enter the password.

It will work because, you are connected through wifi.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

You are right. It does work and thank you for the suggestion. But try doing that at an airport. 

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Verizon

I am traveling out of the US with my BB Bold 9900. It has not been easy.  I have been using my sim card here and buying minutes.  I am in Malaysia.  I just downloaded more minutes and it keeps asking me to enter my BB password. ..It has not done that before.  So I tried and tried but it just would not.  It would not make the emergency call and I was stuck.  I came onto this blog and read what others were saying.  I decided not to erase data since I know

that is a huge mistake.  The issues is I did register my BB before leaving Seattle and I do have the correct passwrod but it still does not let me pass through.  I am glad I read everyone's blog because it made me look carefully at my phone.  What I discouverd was the man who put in my sim card had it upside down.. the clipped corners must be facing down and to the right.  I had rememberd seeing it put in correct at one store and had no issues. So be sure to check out the little details.  I am up and running fine now.  I have had several Blackberry;s and have to say this one is very difficult to use.  It's probably the operator but you know they use to be so much easier.  Thanks to all who helped me.   Oh, one more thing, when you download mninutes it can be done automatically but you have to have your phone formated for that...mine is not and I have to transfer sim cards from one phone to another.  Nothing is easy on this Bold. 9900...

Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: du

Hi There,
I am stuck up in a strange problem with my Bold 9900.

Heres the complete scenario:

1. My sim card in the phone. I turned off mobile radio and wifi.

2. I inserted another sim card and switched on the phone.

3. It asks me to sign in to my blackberry account, and if i dont do that, my all data will be wiped off.

4. When i enter my blackberry id and password, it doesnt accept it (mobile radio and wifi off)

plz help me toooo   Smiley Sad 

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Movistar

I accidentaly found a solution for this but you have to forget of using again the appworld, so you have to download all the apps you could possibly want for a long time. I was trying to add an additionational language to my dictiionary in options -> Device ->Sofware updates and I did according to a procedure I found in internet, then after it was done and the phone reseted itself I didn't login to BB ID and kind of just bypassed that step. Now my phone works fine, push email, BBM and downloaded apps OK...and when I travel and change simcards it doesn't ask me to sign in to BB ID but I cannot download anymore apps from the appworld unless I sign in.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Movistar

Greetings, well forgot to mention that you can always continue downloading apps to your phone through the app section in this site loging in to ur BB ID here so no problems at all Smiley Happy