Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Mtn

Re: BB ID problem when changing sim card on bold 9900

Hi, I have the same problem every time I change the sim card when I travel.... I tried the solution u suggested it didn't work. Is there any other solution? Thank you
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Mtn

Hi again, actually it worked... After I failed the first time...I received a message from bb stating that : your handheld has been registered with the wireless network ". So I gave it a second try and it worked. Thank you
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

I hope you don't get upset if I sound dumb. It's just that the posts and replies is just too much for my 61 yr old brain to process.

So pls bear with me. I am using a BB9900 with Rogers (Canada). I have had it recently unlocked. In one week I will be travelling to Manila,Philippines. Will I encounter same BB ID problem if I purchase a sim and prepaid call. text and data.I believe they call it BBmax over there in Manila? Thanks.

Contributor
My Carrier: Singtel

Yes you will have the BB ID problem.

To go around it, this is one of few options..

Option 1. Phone security wipe (not something you will want)

Option 2 : get a prepaid card that already has mobile internet ACTIVE. Not those which you still need to SMS or call Customer service to get it running. This way, you will have internet access and you can log in BB ID. (leave phone on with new sim card for around 3-5 mins)

Option 3 : Do not change sim card UNTIL you can log in to a WIFI spot. Once you ascertain you have Wifi AND internet access, swap your sim card asap (before wifi logs you out due to inactivity). You should automatically have internet wifi access and log into BB ID.

Option 4 (this is what i am doing after getting very tired of Option 2 and 3) : By a cheap phone just for the prepaid card.. retain home sim card in phone to access Contacts, emails, etc. BB access by WIFI only.

OR Option 4b, get a Smartphone that Shares its Internet (Smartphone as a wifi hotspot). Your BB can access that smartphone's internet to access BB.

New Contributor

Ok thanks. but just say I do the Phone security wipe, what happens next after the wipe? I don't have much on the phone anyway so I don't mind doing the wipe? I guess the second part of my question is, what do I do when I get back to Winnipeg, Canada?
Contributor

A phone after a wipe is good as new. U have to do the same thing (BB ID log in ) all over when you are back in Winnipeg. But it should be easier as i assume your home sim card has data already activated.
New Contributor

Ok let me get this straight. When I get to Manila (from Canada) , I can just wipe the phone and put in the new sim, then log in to my BBId ? Then when I get back to Canada, do I wipe it again before I put my old Rogers sim back? If that's the case, I guess I'm all set. Am I?
Contributor

No, when you are back in Canada, you need not do a wipe, you just need Internet connection (Wifi or your own Mobile dataplan) to log in BBID.

You can also do a wipe IF you choose not want to BBID log in.

Bottom line is, so long you have access to Internet Connection, you need not do a wipe and use the Internet to login.

Why most of us here have problems is that BBID needs internet to work, but while overseas, most of us do not readily have internet on our mobiles.

How i got around this problem is while overseas I ensure i have internet connections (through WIFI) first before swapping SIM Cards.

Most prepaid sim cards overseas do not have Internet Dataplan ready to use, in most cases we need to sign up or activate the Internet component of the datacard before.

I hope you got me so far.

New Contributor
My Device: BB9900
My Carrier: Sun

did not work with me... do you have any other tip? thanks Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: BB9900
My Carrier: Sun

my problem is "initializing sim card" doesn't seem to end! Smiley Sad