Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
Accepted Solution

BB Maps on Orange UK (poss solved)

Hi, I have put this in it's own thread now as the majority of users wanted the Maps on Orange UK.

Thread Link

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: BB Maps on Orange UK (poss solved)

I have just followed the steps shown, it was very easy and I now have BB Maps installed and working absolutely perfectly on Orange UK.

Apparently this same proceedure does also work with Vodafone UK and possibly many others.

I have kept Google Maps installed just incase BB Maps turns out to be pale in comparison, in which case I will just delete it.

At least now I have the option of trying the app for myself instead of of some large conglomerate deciding for me.

Orange UK with BB Maps 

Sorry about the image quality but it is very hard to get a good pic, you can plainly see my carrier is Orange and that BB Maps is there on the home screen.

Thanks also to my daughter Neve for posing to show this image is not a fake.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Regular Contributor

Well against all the odds with BB Maps, I am actually really liking the app.

I have read a lot of negative things about it but I live right out in the sticks in the UK and it pin pointed my location absolutely just by country and post code, without using GPS, as I was indoors at the time.

I then searched for hotels within my area and in no time at all it showed me lists with addresses, phone numbers and even website addresses.

I am really going to give it a thorough work out tomorrow, so I will post back with an update.

At the moment without the true outside navigation trial but just for flexibility and ease of use I would have to rate it a good 7 out of 10.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Regular Contributor

I have found a screen capture app so here are a few better images of BB Maps on a Bold using Orange UK as a carrier.

Home Screen 

A Map Screen

Setting Page

Phone Menu 

As you can see the BB Maps icon is clearly visible on the Home Screen and in the Phone's Menu Screen, the quality of the maps is quite outstanding. The map image I have posted here is zoomed out a bit just to give an overall picture.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE

Great find Kirk! Thanks for bringing the sloution to everyone's attention.

Have you tried the fix for Windows Messenger also in the thread? 

Pradeep.

Regular Contributor

pradeepjey wrote:

Great find Kirk! Thanks for bringing the sloution to everyone's attention.

Have you tried the fix for Windows Messenger also in the thread? 

Pradeep.

No, I haven't.

I am not a user of IM's, I currently have Yahoo Messenger, which is just sitting there not used.

Let me know how you get on, maybe if you get the WLM installed and working, start your own thread, at least then it will be visible to all.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE

Will do. I use Linux not Windows so it may be a little while before I get a chance to steal someone's PC to try all this out...

Pradeep.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9780 6.0 bundle 1879 v6.0.0.448 (platform 6.5.0.136)
My Carrier: Orange

Hi Kjevans, Well done for finding it. I took your confidence an went for the leap to get BBmaps on my bold albeit little nervously.Ive got stuck. Iam on step 3 - desktop manager - back & restore - adavnce - File - open. When I click open it opens up the window to select files on my computer etc, I cant see bbmaps&wlm.ipd anywhere - ??? help me please????
Regular Contributor

jonsmith77 wrote:
Hi Kjevans, Well done for finding it. I took your confidence an went for the leap to get BBmaps on my bold albeit little nervously.Ive got stuck. Iam on step 3 - desktop manager - back & restore - adavnce - File - open. When I click open it opens up the window to select files on my computer etc, I cant see bbmaps&wlm.ipd anywhere - ??? help me please????

Hi Jon,

hey why not lets try to do this via BB Messenger, I have not tried it out apart from to myself, see I don't know anyone with a BlackBerry.

What is your BOLD's pin?

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9780 6.0 bundle 1879 v6.0.0.448 (platform 6.5.0.136)
My Carrier: Orange

I havent set up ay sort of pin ???