Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BB Media Sync requires restart before install

I cannot solve this problem.  I am running Vista Ultimate, and after downloading media sync, and going through the install process, a message tells me that windows requires a restart before installing media sync.  I have restarted and it still says the same error.  I have downloaded the version a second time and still have the same errror.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I want to transfer Itunes playlists to my storm.
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: BB Media Sync requires restart before install

Can you try to uninstall Media Sync, download the software and save it to your computer, then right click the EXE file and choose to Run As Administrator. See if it does the same thing after rebooting.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

Great suggestion.  I tried that this morning and still get the same error message.  If I try to install media sync as part of desktop 4.7, it closes the desktop and makes me restart it.  Seems like nothing I do will make it work.
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Hmm. Not sure why. I couldn't find that error message you;re getting in the Knowledge base. All I found were these links

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15746

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12155

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.

I have vista home premium on my system and upgraded to the blackberry desktop manager 4.7.  I've tried this with either build of the desktop manager (media sync and without).  When I run the install from within the desktop manager to install the media sync for itunes as administrator, it will download the app and end with a message that desktop manager had a problem and to report the problem and close.  I downloaded the installer separately and am prompted to reboot the computer before installing which does not help.  I've tried to remove the desktop manager and reinstall with no change.  Anyhow, I cannot install the black berry sync for iTunes.

Error when trying to install from with in Desktop Manager:

Product

BlackBerry Device Manager

Problem

Stopped working

Date

11/26/2008 2:10 PM

Status

Not Reported

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: BbDevMgr.exe

Application Version: 4.0.1.3

Application Timestamp: 476be204

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00042f60

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: e357

Additional Information 2: 0e01134648c8257f7ec32d01555c9539

Additional Information 3: e357

Additional Information 4: 0e01134648c8257f7ec32d01555c9539

Files that help describe the problem

Version.txt

AppCompat.txt

memory.hdmp

minidump.mdmp 

Error Report after installing the media sync from a separate download:

Product

BlackBerry Media Sync.exe

Problem

Program compatibility problem

Date

11/27/2008 1:26 PM

Status

Not Reported

Description

This program might not have installed correctly

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: PCA2

Problem Signature 01: BlackBerry Media Sync.exe

Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: BlackBerry Media Sync.exe

Problem Signature 04: unknown

Problem Signature 05: unknown

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: 200

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem

appcompat.txt

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

I'm having the same problem.  I tried installing Media Sync through the Desktop Manager, then I downloaded it and attempted to run as administrator.  In Desktop Manager, it simply crashes during the install.  When I attempt to install the separate app, it keeps telling me I need to do a system reboot.  I've done numerous reboots, uninstalled/reinstalled Desktop Maanger, and cleaned the registry, and nothing is working.  It's becomming VERY frustrating.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold / O2 - UK

Yup I'm having this problem as well, but I must say it is the only problem I'm having with my 9000, at the moment I'm just using he regular BB MediaManager to transfer at the moment which works fine for me until the Media Sync under Vista is sorted.
Visitor

Re: Media Sync won't install...crashes Desktop Manager..Vista Ultimate

I have the same problem.  Running Vista Ultimate.  After download of Media Sync, click to install, Desktop Manager crashes.  Tried the run as admin...no luck.

Had no problem installing on my XP work laptop, but I don't want to use it on that.  I keep iTunes on my home Vista machine.

I have the latest BB updates installed.

I'll keep an eye out for solutions.

New Contributor

Same error here... very frustrating!!!!!!!!  Downloaded 3 times and tried from manager 3 times before I finally hit this forum..

I will sync using media manager for now...

The answer that worked for me is posted here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/f59/blackberry_media_sync-93880/