Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Vodacom

Re: BB OS 7 on Torch?

@Digitalhomeboy:

Thank RIM for making a device bound to an OS?  If you think about it, what RIM are doing is making device specific OS's.  In my definition, that removes them from the Smartphone market.

Add to that the work RIM are doing to roll BES out to iPhone, Droid and Windows phone.  They're essentially killing their own brand.

Back to the topic, releasing a phone that within a year becomes unsupported on the latest OS sucks balls.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

umskimmybob, what makes you think the Torch hardware could handle the new OS?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I didn't say I think the Torch hardware could handle the new OS. I made a statement: Releasing a new OS that isn't supported on a device released within less than a year is pathetic. RIM did it to the Storm 2 and they're doing it to the Torch.
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

well of course RIM hasn't released OS7 yet, nor a device that runs OS7, so by the time it is released, it could be past that year you've come up as a satisfactory time period. As I recall, the Torch on OS6 was released mid-August.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I don't recall saying more than a year is a satisfactory period.  I'm stating my dissatisfaction with RIM dropping OS support for their devices, in much the same way as I stated my outrage when MicroSoft dropped support for newish devices when their OS 7 was released.

Do you work for RIM or do you have some fanboy interest in picking my complaint apart?  Where are you going with this? 

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

I guess its kind of difficult for you to appreciate the gravity of the discontent amongst current bb users regarding the non availability of the new OS for any existing model simply because you're not able to for some reason or you simply choose to ignore it. I have used a torch till date & I personally was very dissapointed with the news. It feels like RIM is trying to get rid of the mistakes they've made & are trying to make something better (which is all well & good), but in that process, they seem to just like to forget their loyal customers, who have spent a lot behind its products & stuck with them during their worst time in the company's history . This is how you are rewarded. By complete ignorance & abandonement.

THANKS RIM

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: MTN

My take on this is simple, technology moves on! I couldn't wait to get my hands on a 6 core processor for my PC when it was released a year ago, despite the fact that my computer was only a year old. Why did I get a torch in the first place? Because I liked the look and feel. OS7 isn't much different except for minimal functionality changes and prettier icons. If prettier icons is a priority for you then download a theme with OS7 icons. OS7 is dependant on the larger 1.2Ghz processor in the new Bold 9900, 9930. Bottom line here is that every company, whether it be telecoms, motor industry, even home appliance companies, release new models pretty much each year. If you want the new OS buy the new model. If you can't afford to buy one then stick with what you've got. If I can't afford the new 2012 model Toyota, then I can't really get upset with Toyota for releasing it with features that my 2011 model doesn't have.
Contributor

Pffff... Lousy attitude imho.

Apple devices 3 generations old can run the current OS. Droids are fairly hardware agnostic also. MicroSoft only recently shot themselves in the foot with Windows phone 7 hardware requirements. Till then, you could upgrade your M$ handheld a good couple of versions before the device became redundant.

If 1 year lifetime is sufficient in your opinion, I'm happy for you. I've gone back to my 3 year old iPhone that STILL competes with today's tech.
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: O2 UK

RIM like most other companies are in the market of making money, gone are the days of the customer always being right and should be looked after, RIM have always been seen as a business type of phone.  Companies are always bringing out new models, I used to build cars for Honda, every year they'd make minor changes to their cars and every 5 years they'd bring out a new version of that car i.e... New shape etc.

My first BlackBerry was a Bold running OS 4, I found a leaked version of OS 5 and rammed it on there, and it worked fine after doing so, we won’t know if OS 7 will work on older devices until someone has tried it (apologies if someone has already tried, I don't know if someone has or not), when a company bring out something new they want as many people to buy it and make the company more money, not to upgrade the OS on their older device.  Microsoft are going to stop releasing updates for Windows XP just so people will go out and buy their new OS , it’s the same the world over, I’m stuck in a contract with my BB Torch for 20 more months, that's going to drag

If people are unhappy with a company, they should do their talking with their feet rather than their fingers, moaning about them will NOT get you anywhere, not these days anyway.

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

We have recently switched our business 3GS IPhones to Blackberry Torches in the past month. I would be very disappointed if a faster operating system was to be released that is not extended to us. 

If this is to happen, then I would be obliged to agree with some of the previous statements - that Blackberry doesn't look out for its current customers, at least on IPhones (which seem to be better at doing most things anyway), you can be rest assured that updates will be extended to you in some way.

Very disappointed.