Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB OS 7 on Torch?

All major suppliers and developers have, at most times, made their new software releases "backwardly compatible" - what makes RIM different? After initial problems I have grown to like my Torch (except the non-availability of Flash). However as a customer I am in my rights to expect a good after sales service.
Regular Contributor
My Device: LEAP and Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

I agree with your comment above. As for service it's your service provider and retail outlet who is responsibe. AT&T service has been outstanding concerning their obligation for service on the four phone accounts in my family one of which is my BB Torch. My retailer provided excellent service when my first Torch was defective. It was exchanged without question.

My Torch and its OS is the best I've owned since my first cell phone some 20 years ago. I would not hesitate getting another BB.
Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Vodacom

http://crackberry.com/research-motion-introduces-new-blackberry-7-smartphones

The OS 7 candidates. There will be NO UPGRADE for existing OS6 phones like the Torch. Mark my words.
Contributor

I think we all accept that there will be no upgrade to OS 7 for the existing OS sixers. However that does not satisfy the assertion that all new software should, ideally, be backwards compatible.
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

I shared the same feeling. It is disappointed that we cannot upgrade Torch (9800) to BB OS 7 (which I just bought the device for few months). I don't think there is a h/w limitation to stop RIM to provide that for Torch customer (I(s there? Anyone aware of any?). Few other phone providers do provide OS upgrade on their newly released phone - especially on Android phone!

It is horrible that BB device life time only least few months! Yes, I understand RIM wants to get more money from their new devices. But getting it from their faithful customers instead of get money by market expansion, it's just feel wrong.

Regular Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: optus

i totally agree!!!! RIM are really making BB's look bad and they are loosing customers!! they should allow any device to be updated to the latest software!! its hopeless...

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

We're a mixed religion household of iPhone and BBs, as well as iPads. When Apple released their new iOS, we were able to upgrade all of our Apple devices to the new platform. It made me feel good as a consumer that, while I didn't have the new hardware features for my older devices, at least I can enjoy the added functionality from the newer software.. The RIM approach is petty and short-sighted. It makes me feel cheated. While I enjoy my device, If I can't upgrade my Torch 9800 to OS7, this policy will drive me to a company and product that values and respects me.. I will be another user that makes my next smartphone an iPhone!
Contributor

Given that RIM devices a banned in some countries, BBs are under scrutiny in the UK due to the fact that BBs were the rioters' tools of choice, reduced profits, shedding thousands of employees, the Playbook not doing as well as expected - you would think RIM needs all the friend it can get - and here they are antagonising their long suffering customer base. My next phone will probably an Android.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

I bought mine through Rogers - proper channel... Could you post any link that would have been included in the email?
Contributor

@Howiew - who is your message addressed to?