Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BB OS 7 on Torch?

hello,

why didyou read that RIM will not support the 9800 ?
For your information, RIM still supports the Storm 9550 that was released two years ago.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

RodgerBeard wrote:

Now I have a Torch 9800, 9 months old that BB says they won';t support/  

That's just totally untrue. Whoever told you that is just plain wrong.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Vodacom

I think RogerBeard is referring to "support" on the new OS, in which case he's spot on. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

well, if you buy a device that has one processor, you cannot blame it for not having two, can you.
It's like complaning that your Toyota cannot go as fast as a Ferrari.

OS7 requires two processors.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

That is poor design in my humble opinion.

Apple iOS runs on single core and dual core iPads.  Next iPhone will most likely be a dual core, yet my OLD iPhone 3Gs will still be able to run the latest OS.

Android runs on different devices regardless of cores.

Windows Phone probably runs on single/multiple - I couldn't be arsed to do any digging on MSmobilecrapola.

Whatever. It is what it is.

Past devices have been able to upgrade to a higher level OS to a great extent. However, users raised hell that OS5 was barely a touch above OS4. Users raised cane that OS6 was just a recompiled OS5.

Now, with new HARDWARE specs and and OS to fit that hardware, RIM can't promise upgrades to OS6 devices without the hardware specs needed for OS7.

Yes, I understand your Apple comparison, but they have what, like 4-5 total devices over the past 3-4 years?, on a totally different OS. Meanwhile RIM supports about 25-30 different devices, on varying levels of OS release. No, it's not an excuse, but it's the facts.

I was "forced" to upgrade my SatNav in my Ford Exp, and paid $300 for the upgrade, IF I wanted the upgrade. Didn't make me happy, but the older legacy device would not support the latest technology.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I hear you.

BUT - Count the amount of droid devices out there.  Both phones and tablets.  Single core/Multi core, makes no difference.

My qualm with RIM remains:  They're burning their customers.  So OS7 probably isn't going to be QNX.  Chances are.  Will the OS7 devices be upgradable when RIM go QNX on the phones?  History shows NO.  Why would you want to buy a OS7 berry then?

In a 3rd world (wanna be 1st world) country like the one I live, network providers sell phones bundled with cellular service on 2 year contracts.  If I were replacing my phone once a year, MAYBE I'd be less upset about RIMs lack of forward planning.  

unskimmybob wrote:

In a 3rd world (wanna be 1st world) country like the one I live, network providers sell phones bundled with cellular service on 2 year contracts.  If I were replacing my phone once a year, MAYBE I'd be less upset about RIMs lack of forward planning.  

Same process here in the US. You're not left behind.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor
My Device: LEAP and Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I am very surprised with all the negativity from BB owners here in this thread. Yes, it is unfortunate RIMM will not support their older phone devices but technology on these devices is changing rapidly while cell phone owners are changing their devices almost as quickly as they change their underwear (just joking).

Do you change your car, computer or bicycle every 18-24 months. No one is forcing you to change a cell phone for $199.99 when introduced. Wait a few months and it will fall in price to $49.99 or even less if you are eligible for an upgrade. This November and December the newest devices will be dumped to very low prices. You can easily add more ram modules to your computer but who amongst end users are capable of changing the cpu, ram etc on your current BB so its capable of running OS7.

Is it so terrible to keep your current BB device for two years with the current contract requirements? I've owned many cell phones from Ericsson, Nokia and Motorola. Three years ago I upgraded my Razr to a BB Bold 9700. It took a few days to learn the difference from simple software to a professional, well made excellent cell phone product with clear voice communication with NO dropped calls with logical software that functions well. BB screen resolution is the best available on the market today. Many times better than Apple products. See for yourself at your retailer.

My wife currently has an HTC android v2.1. The software imo is not logically well thought out as user friendly. It takes much longer time to add/edit calendar appointments, add/edit contacts, type sms etc. etc.

Eight months ago I upgraded my Bold to a Torch for less than $50. Unfortunately, it was defective and had it exchanged no questions asked by the retailer. I feel once a BB user, I will never again use another brand. Most definitely not an iphone. Why you ask? When the CEO does not like an app or a function on his/their products it is not included for the consumer. Now that Comrade Dictator Jobs has left the throne, the game perhaps will change. In the meantime Iphone is a teenager's toy with poor phone communication capability. Who really needs hundreds of apps installed on a users device.

If you want to play buy an iphone or android toy. If you need to communicate well buy a Blackberry.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

It does suck, but it is what it is. Say you buy a car and the next years model has many new upgrades and features, they don't call you back and install them for you. I'm mad about it, but only because I know I'm probably going to go out and blow 600+ on the new one. Other than that I'm tickled pink to see all these new devices being released! Keep up the good work RIM!